82 interstate refurb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To solve the idle mixture screw adjustment, I put a crude gear shaped end on the screw so I can poke the gear with a sharp stick to turn it. Paint 1/2 black to keep track of movement.

Attachments

• alu gear.jpg
    alu gear.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • gear parts.jpg
    gear parts.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
Started going through the electrical systems.
Things are misbehaving. Headlight wont light. I have around 3 volts at headlight key on engine off. Front directionals will illuminate when I operate the turn signal but dont blink. Running lights - nothing.
Nothing is connected on the back of the bike yet so can't check any of that. Getting familiar with the schematic. Honestly, if I can get all the electrics working and dial in the pilot adjustments. This is ready to ride. Very frustrating having to go to work with it this close.
Lots of poc modifications to electrics. Removing them all. Took out all fuses to clean holder and check them. Found a 30 amp fuse. Now I need to go through that circuit. Had to be a reason to install that unless it was the only one he had available.
Are you aware of the 30 amp "dogbone" fuse in the starter solenoid connector plug? Some folks replace it with an inline 30 amp blade fuse.

Yes. Im aware of that fuse. Thanks
They put a 30 amp fuse in one of the the 10 amp spots in the fuseholder. Simple fix. I didnt see any issues on the load side of that circuit so I think it was just a matter of not having the correct fuse. All seems good.

Not sure if you have the idle mixture screw adjustment worked out? On another site there are several posts that have been mad about how to adjust these screws. I'm not sure which ones I've read about it but the one below is just one that makes mention of the adjustment. The jist is that the screws make such a minute change and others, that you should set them three turns out and leave them alone. I believe the information originated from Mike Nixon, but not positive.

https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62271
If nothing else I'm sure that someone there might be able to direct you to where that information originated. The other idea is to investigate the Mike Nixon web site, he's a quite knowledgeable person on carbs.

https://motorcycleproject.com/
Best of luck...

Have not worked out carb issue.
My only real experience with carb-per-cylinder motors is with the 2 cyl boxers on my old bmws.
Those are individually adjusted in a process that has the engine running only on each cylinder as you adjust and match them. Grounding one plug at a time.
I found that when I got them right they would be much smoother and stronger transitioning from idle circuit to high speed circuit. Big difference on any standing start.
That is the only complaint I have with my Goldwing motor. Idle is ok but not great and very chunky at low rpm when a load is presented engaging clutch. Runs great at slightly higher rpms and going into the power curve. Smooth and strong. Think think Ill give a shot at pulling out the screws, shooting some cleaner in there and even a wire. Carbs were absolutely gunked up when I tore them down. I know I ran cleaner and forced air into them. Maybe one is clogged.
I absolutely thought about setting at 3 turns and forgetting but there is nothing better than a dialed in motor to make you smile!

I synched the carbs as soon as I got it running. Made a big difference. Thought Id see if I can make a difference with idle mixtures and then re check synch.

Got a set of sizing wires to clean the idle jets. Any idea what size to use or where to find that information? Thought Id try to find the jet size somewhere and start there

You don't have to use a particular size wire, as long as it is smaller than the jet size which should be stamped on the the jet. (I'm not qualified to explain jet size conversions).
I use a very small size music wire from the hobby store (don't play guitar) and/or a single strand of copper wire from a lamp cord. Soak the jets in carb dip overnight first.

Thanks Kerryb
I do not want to take the carbs back off to do this. When I had them off for months I cleaned them pretty thoroughly. Carb cleaner, compressed air, lots of scrubbing, etc.The only jets not replaced are the idle jets.
I am going to remove the pilot screws, springs, washers and o-rings and attempt to run a sizing wire through the idle jets.
I beleive I can do that with the carbs installed. I'll report back with results

While I am expecting to get this project on the road very soon - I will be looking for a couple minor mods. One is headlights. Id like to upgrade the stock lamp to LED and add a couple extra lights. Any suggestions or examples would be much appreciated.
I may want better horns, too. Stock horns only provide entertainment value.

I used an Autofast plug and play for the head light, package comes with two purchased on Amazon. I've been running it in the bike for almost 2 years with out any issue. I have MOTO horns installed under the lowers to large for the the factory position. On the 80 I had to use a relay to run the horns, on the 81 I was able to go direct with factory wires. Running lights are mounted on an old set of mirror stays small and round led. Between all 3 lights every thing is lit up.

That picture shows how the running lights are installed and look like better.

I already have a horn relay. PO must've done something in the past. Dont think my horns are stock but I may want something louder. Not a big priority now. Ill pass inspection with what I have

All back together and running well. All the help from this forum was invaluable. I still want to tackle the idle mixture adjustments but it runs pretty well set set at factory starting points. Found an exhaust leak on left side. Replacing that today. Weather probably wont allow me to ride it, though.

Attachments

• 20230704_183131.jpg
    20230704_183131.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts