83 Aspencade front brake.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mantle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bleed nipple on the left front brake broke a couple of months ago and I plugged the hole with a bolt and bled the brakes from the point where the pipe connects while i was looking for another assembly. Boy are these thin on the ground but I got one in the end. In the meantime I toured a few breakers looking for substitutes and found one from another machine that is identical.Not sure but I was told it came from a CX650 twin piston unit.

I have always been led to believe that the 83 Aspencade brakes are a unique application - this just goes to show that there are options available if one hunts around. By the by the brake fits the Aspencade mounting bracket perfectly and solved the bleed nipple problem . :yahoo: :Egyptian:

Attachments

• Wing brakes - CX Right - Wing left resized.jpg
    Wing brakes - CX Right - Wing left resized.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 188
Good to know. Now if you can find the right model to get the replacement rear master cylinder from I'm sure many will be happy.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82441#p82441:3d6sjelf said:
David Mantle » Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 am[/url]":3d6sjelf]it is almost - if not entirely - impossible to communicate directly via chat to someone on this . Unless I am doing it wrong ( true I am dumb with tech stuff )
Well......looks like your chatting now.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82441#p82441:1mgjdptk said:
David Mantle » Mon May 27, 2013 1:22 am[/url]":1mgjdptk]it is almost - if not entirely - impossible to communicate directly via chat to someone on this . Unless I am doing it wrong ( true I am dumb with tech stuff )

Sorry Dave, I was asleep when you wanted to chat.. :doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82395#p82395:g7w6sg1v said:
slabghost » Sun May 26, 2013 5:56 am[/url]":g7w6sg1v]Good to know. Now if you can find the right model to get the replacement rear master cylinder from I'm sure many will be happy.

I know that for the earlier 1100 wings they share the brakes with the CX500 i.e. both front and rear brake assemblies but not masters. I used to ride a 1980 1100 before my present ride turned up. The brakes on that particular machine ( 1980 ) had the self same parts as a 1980 CX500 that I had at the same time. The front brake assembly also fits the rear of the Wing from the same period. The 83 Aspencade I use now is totally different and appears to have some brake components in common with the 650CX. The discs on this machine are of the vented variety and so far I am not sure what other machines use the same size and width. i will however keep looking and should I find out will let the forum know via the relevant section.

Maybe the rear brake master from the CX is the same as the Wing.
Just a thought - hope it helps.

When you posted about this earlier, I looked up the OEM rear master #'s for the 83 CX650TA and the 83 1100 and they carry slightly different parts #s, however they look very similar on the fische (you know how that goes). I think someone will have to physically compare the two before we know for sure. The problem is even the cx650 rear master is obsolete and no longer available.

I have both units and they look identical - all important measurements agree. The gap where the brake shoes go - the cylinders and ALL mounting holes line up. I fitted the CX unit to my Aspencade when it arrived , because I did not have the correct part at the time , and the bike stops as it should. I have the right unit , it came after the CX , and intend to keep it as a spare.

I suppose it is always possible that the unit I bought was not a CX650 one but an Aspencade unit after all. Considering the person I got it from was a breaker and he did say it came from a CX then I have to take his word for it.

Did you consider that the part numbers break down as Model, Region and year or something else? i might be wrong in my assumption but sometimes the same parts have slightly differing numbers but still interchange. The parts may be obsolete new but this is another area to look for when considering second user parts - sometimes they can be a viable option if new is no longer available. Sometimes thinking outside of the box , or laterally , is an advantage. After all there are times when logic is not logical.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

I agree with you completely David, on all counts. Just because the #'s don't match exactly, doesn't mean the part will not work. I was making reference to the rear master cylinder.

Thanks - that is why I have a 1200 rear case and hydraulic clutch on my 1100 , as do the cams with the 1000 and 1200 and who knows what other bits and bobs. The part numbers are no way near but many parts interchange.

I know this is a bit off topic but sort off within the parameters what about using just any other master and adapt it to your use. It must be "fairly" easy to rig up an adaptor plate, there are a lot of very similar front masters that fit other makes that may also fit GL's I agree that adapting a front brake lever is going to be easier but I should have thought the biggest problem to a rear master is "fitting one", getting it to work would be the easy part.

I fitted a 1800 rear to my linked brakes 83.
Fitment was fairly easy I guess.
I had to have a special brake line made, cost was $40 I think, a good used master cylinder was less than that.
Breaking is very good. The pedal feel is good.

Latest posts