83 Aspencade Speedo Drive box

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blfd04

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,
I was wondering in what year did honda change from the metal to plastic drive gear for the speedometer? I am hoping :beg: in 83 they were still using metal. I have a speedometer that is not working, I spun the sensor with a drill and the sensor works, which now leaves the Drive box being bad, or the retainer gear that is behind the seal in the wheel. I only want to pull the front wheel off once, so if it is plastic I will order another gear box so I have it. I am asking anyone who has done this already, was your Drive Box Gear metal or plastic?
Thanks
John

It may not be the gear. The end of the cable can be difficult to fit. It took me three tries to fit one of mine.

I have the digital dash so I have no cable, when the wheel is spun the tab that fits into the sensor does not turn,so the issue has to be in the gearbox or the wheel.

Didn't think there was a gear for the electric speedo drive. Maybe there is? I have no experience with those yet.

All the speedometer drive gears I have seen are plastic.

The microfiche for the 83A does not show what is inside the box, P/N 44800-MB0-013.

There is a used box on EBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1100-GL-G ... Rm&vxp=mtr

IMHO, you need to remove the front wheel and disassemble the speedometer box to see whether it contains a gear. I had to fix the speedometer on an 83A and I believe it had a gear inside (don't hold me to this because that was several years ago.