83 cast spoke wheels on 81 Interstate ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to get new tires for my 1981 GL1100 Interstate with Comstar wheels. There's nothing wrong with the wheels. I also have a set of 1983 cast wheels which are a different size. It looks like they could be swapped without any modifications. Is there any advantage to going to the newer wheels and has anyone out there done this? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, Steve.

This should be interesting. The Comstar wheels have been known to develop cracks in them where the spoke connects to the rim. I have an 81 with those wheels and they look fine at this point. I figure if these have lasted 32 years and 100,000 miles I may be home free from this particular failure.

the advamtage to 83 wheels over the 81 comstars is tire choices 83 wheels line up with harley sizes and planty around ...its only a plug and play if you have rotors also and then its not without shiming some....on a 81 and if it was a standard id probably do it ...if it was dresser i think id leave it the way it is