'83 GL1100 restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whemn putting belts on compression stoke and stuff don't apply at T1 both fron cylinders will be TDC...if pulleys are on right so belts line up there no way to get off if pulley up marks are the same both sides and timing mark are right

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88237#p88237:506gmaez said:
joedrum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:27 pm[/url]":506gmaez]yes dan but its a two to one deal ...if the up marks are up on T1 ....you can rotate the motor crank one time to T1 agan and both up marks point down this is all right .... its 180 off when one pulley is up and the other is down ...so your good to go it sounds to me
I'm pretty certain that's not correct Joe.

When at T-1, both cams should be UP.
When at T-2, (1/2 crank rotation) both cams would have UP on the bottom, upside down.
Come around some more to complete a full circle of the crank, the UP is up again.

Ok, the front right cylinder, as you are sitting on the bike, is at TDC and both valves are closed. T1 and the camshaft pulleys are all lined up. Are we good?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88253#p88253:3ai7n8ed said:
drhicks123 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 pm[/url]":3ai7n8ed]Ok, the front right cylinder, as you are sitting on the bike, is at TDC and both valves are closed. T1 and the camshaft pulleys are all lined up. Are we good?
Yes, if both UP's are up and crank is at T-1 your good to go.

Just make sure that you stick with the basics. TDC is when no1 piston is all the way up, valves need to be rocking on no1 and the ignition needs to be in alignment for no1. There are 2 crankshaft rotations for one complete revolution of the camshafts. Always make sure that you rotate the crankshaft by hand at least 4 complete rotations to check for correct alignment and any tension problems.

Thanks Dan. I had confidence that the timing was right and I've already re-installed the valve cover. Now I've pulled the water pump cover off to check the impeller. Looks like its made out of a Phenolic or plastic material. I haven't checked my manual yet. Is the one on the GL1100 difficult to replace? It doesn't seem to want to come out...

I just wanted to correct myself on the belt timing.

I tried to take a nap but it was bugging me.

It came back to me that yes, you can be on T-1 and have the UP on the bottom because the crank rotates twice to the cams once.
So that means T-2 would be at the 1/4 rotations of the cams.

Take the time to read through the procedure and maybe check out a vid or two on the process. While you wait on the pump you order. It will help once you get into it to know where all the bolts are.

There are 2 crank revolutions for 1 cam revolution. At T-1, both #1 and #2 (front) pistons are at TDC. All timing marks should line up. With 1 complete crank rotation, the T-1 will line up again, and both cams have gone 1/2 turn - "UP' will be down, and the opposite (inner) timing marks will be lined up.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88305#p88305:9yoyau3y said:
Steve83 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 pm[/url]":9yoyau3y]There are 2 crank revolutions for 1 cam revolution. At T-1, both #1 and #2 (front) pistons are at TDC. All timing marks should line up. With 1 complete crank rotation, the T-1 will line up again, and both cams have gone 1/2 turn - "UP' will be down, and the opposite (inner) timing marks will be lined up.
+1 on this!