84 1200 Aspencade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question is probably silly to most of you but Im wondering how much better an '84 1200 is VS my '82 1100.
A question full of unanswered questions to be sure but if Im correct the frame is stiffer on the 1200, the wheels are smaller diameter (better low speed handling?) the forks are beefier. Those things alone might prompt me to take a look at one.
Ive even read that they get better mpg.
Anyone have any input, maybe a former 1100 rider who graduated to a 1200?
Thanks, Phil

I love my 84 1200 but still love my 1100s. 1200 does seem to run a bit smoother and maybe slightly quieter. Overall ride seems smoother than the 1100's but none of my bikes are at 100% in suspension or tuning. 1200 just "feels" easier to ride.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104174#p104174:ji3mo664 said:
detdrbuzzard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:36 pm[/url]":ji3mo664]
i wouldn't bother upgrading from an 1100 wing to a 1200 wing

Yeah, try a 1500 but keep your 1100 of course.

~O~

As usual, good info from the folks here at Classic, guess I had better mull it over further. Just took her out for a grocery run after an idle screw adjustment. Seems a bit better, cold start in the morning might reveal more.
Omega Man you made me laugh the Good Laugh, just thinking about extra Goldwings makes me smile. Alas, my garage already has a neglected 2010 KLR in it. Maybe when I get that 5 acres in the country I can start collecting Wings! For the time being I will keep this fine old bucket running as best I can.
Thanks

Well my wife likes my 12 better then the 11.. '85 and '81.. since I am getting back into riding after shoulder replacement... still haven't gone any distance on the 12 yet.. but tooling around town she is happier riding.. yeah tires are sized different but think the over all circumference is about the same.. I would take either bike.. went on two long distance for me trips from Dallas.. one to the upper left of Missouri.. and the other to Colorado springs...the first one up and trailer... and the other two up with a trailer.. 12 has no current tow hitch installed at the moment.. working on it now though

Found an '84 Aspencade with 47k on it for $1500, cant resist, gonna at least have to take a look at it.
I know I should check the alternator, simply by removing the left cover and inspecting the infamous 3 yellow wire plug?

..I've got a 12 and an 11...for me the 12 is quicker with the power but i just really don't like the way it handles at 75 mph compared to my 1100, don't know why, it just don't feel right to me. There is nothing wrong with it, but the 1100 just seems so much smoother. I would take a test meter too and check that volatge at the battery with the bike running. I think the person that rides a bike knows from the seat of his pants, which one feels the best...I always go that direction for a better ride.

Went over to the other side of town to see it, as usual didnt look as good in person. Not so pro respray, rusty bolts here and there, no plate (title not updated to current owner) tires advertised as new..not. Its pretty darn cold outside, 23 F so the battery was struggling and warm up took forever. The carbs need some attention and the radio was kaput..oh well nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks for the input guys.
Went out to the garage and warmed up the 1100, purrs nicely when warm, always dodgy getting it to that point.