'86 GL1200 Interstate with salvage title ??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Know this guy with an '86 interstate that has a salvage title. He wants to sell it and I want to buy it. I'm just wondering if getting it registered will be a pain here in Nevada.

Bike has an Ohio salvage title and is currently registered here in NV so I'm thinking it may not be such a big deal but you never know and maybe some of you have done this type drill before.

The bike was hit in the rear and all the damage was to the bags (which he fixed) and he has had the bike for 13 years riding it sometimes and using it to loan to friends who visit. Looks good and has always been kept inside. Needs tires although they look like new and are not cracked just old and from the sound of it a carb job and with 50 k on the clock cam belts. Other than that it looks like a good piece. Battery was low and from the sound of it the air cutoff valves are toast, so I told him to put a good charge on it and I will ride it tomorrow to make sure it rides straight. He's a straight along guy and knows bikes pretty well so I'm not really worried about the condition..... just having a salvage title. Not sure about insurance either on a salvage title. (I only want liability)

So, if any of you guys can add any particular cautions and warnings I'd appreciate your two cents worth. Price is right so that's not even an issue. I've been all through my 1100 and don't see anything spooky about the 1200 unless you guys with some experience with 1200's can add any warnings.

Thanks in advance

rear wheel hub bearing mounted in wheel is weak spot on 1200s...ignition is totaly different and full parts hard to get ...realy great bikes ...i cant help on salvage title stuff

My niece turned me on to buying cars with salvage title, she's had 3.
My daughter's first car is a salvage title.
Insurance (full coverage) is the same as if not a salvage.

I think the word "salvage" will always be on the title, other than that I see it as a way to usually buy for less because it's sort of a bargaining tool for the buyer since "salvage" could mean anything, most people get scared and move on.
Do check it out carefully, especially inspect for repairs done the seller ISN'T telling you about as the reason it's a salvage.

As long as the VIN on the bike matches the VIN on the title, there should be no issues with getting it transferred or registered anywhere. Some insurance companies MAY want to inspect it to see if it is a functioning vehicle, but I don't know how it is there in Nevada. I don't think you would have any problems at all with a salvage title, especially since he has been registering it there for all this time.

Wow, thanks guys..... that's quick ..... I didn't think it would be much trouble with the registering. He brought the bike here from Ohio and the DMV here gave him registration and tags after an inspection. He asked about a Nevada title and the DMV clerk said "why"? Unless you just want to spend and extra $80 bucks so you have a Nevada title, just leave the title alone. So he's registered it here ever since he's live here as is.

Feeling better about it already as I want a good winter project. Bike looks fine just been sitting and ridden very little in favor of his "big shiny iron".

Think with a carb rebuild, Cam belts and new tires it will be as good as my perfect '81 1100. Which I almost didn't buy but seriously glad I did because I learned a lot about these great bikes messing with it. Yeah, it will take me a few weeks of work but well worth it to have a great running Gold Wing. Proud of my work on that '81 and get compliments on it all the time when people who know bikes see it and hear it run. Problem now is, running out of room. LOL Wife would like for me to get rid of all of them but I don't really want to sell any of them. I mean, what's wrong with 7 bikes I only keep 4 at the house. Women, go figure.

If there's a thread on putting a trailer hitch on somebody please point me to it. I'm about to redo an old trailer I stumbled across.

Sidewinder":3rmwpody said:
Wow, thanks guys..... that's quick ..... I didn't think it would be much trouble with the registering. He brought the bike here from Ohio and the DMV here gave him registration and tags after an inspection. He asked about a Nevada title and the DMV clerk said "why"? Unless you just want to spend and extra $80 bucks so you have a Nevada title, just leave the title alone. So he's registered it here ever since he's live here as is.

Feeling better about it already as I want a good winter project. Bike looks fine just been sitting and ridden very little in favor of his "big shiny iron".

Think with a carb rebuild, Cam belts and new tires it will be as good as my perfect '81 1100. Which I almost didn't buy but seriously glad I did because I learned a lot about these great bikes messing with it. Yeah, it will take me a few weeks of work but well worth it to have a great running Gold Wing. Proud of my work on that '81 and get compliments on it all the time when people who know bikes see it and hear it run. Problem now is, running out of room. LOL Wife would like for me to get rid of all of them but I don't really want to sell any of them. I mean, what's wrong with 7 bikes I only keep 4 at the house. Women, go figure.

If there's a thread on putting a trailer hitch on somebody please point me to it. I'm about to redo an old trailer I stumbled across.
I have 12 bikes here now and wifey went with me the other day looking at another. Stupid kid thought it was gold. :hihihi: