86 GL1200 Refresh and Mod project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came up with a simple adjustable lower radiator mount on this project which required no machining. I had these from my old trucking days, chrome spot mirror mounts. Used two on each side and the slot makes moving the radiator bottom in or out by about an inch simply by loosening the center bolt. The angle of the radiator mount hole changes when it's moved forward and this mount will pivot and allow for that. Plus, their chrome.
IMG01963-20130605-1135.jpg
IMG01973-20130605-1159.jpg

Got the front fender eagle mounted and the new lighted fender chrome and all mounted on bike. Still have to stick the medallion on the front of the fender.
IMG02002-20130609-1113.jpg

Got all the plastic rubbed out and polished. All the chrome has been rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and polished. Waiting to be put back on.
IMG02006-20130610-1729.jpg

Waiting on the water pump spacer to finish off the cooling system.
Starting today on the next major phase, the electrical modifications. Bought all the parts yesterday. There will be separate accessory circuits to the front fairing left pocket and the rear trunk. A relay panel mounted in each area to provide power to headlight, driving lights, air horns, all running lights, stereo, trailer lighting, external alternator, stereo amp, charging circuit to trailer battery, regulator sensor wire for use when factory stator is used plus, 4 cig lighter sockets, two forward, two in rear, about 4 spare spaces for hook ups in the future.
IMG02009-20130611-1136.jpg

Certainly looks like one shiny power station that you are putting together Mike. :music:

Thanks everyone. Just trying to apply some of the things I learned from this site to improve my scooter. I need to make it as bulletproof as possible so I can ride her to Joe's place for the meet if everything works out as I have planned.

Well, it's been one of those days. This part of the project whipped my butt like a junkyard dog for three hours but I finally won out. I thought I was never gonna get that propeller shaft to line up, I could only get the final drive bolts to the flange edge to bolt up, so I figured I was having to fight both the springs on each end of the shaft. After couple hours and taking it out bout six times, fighting the wheel keeping it on the splines, letting the air out of the rear tire, all of a sudden, it slid all the way home slicker than deer guts on a doorknob. I put them nuts on there faster than a cat covering up s--t on a hot tin roof, before it could jump back out. It's a done deal, at least the rear part while roll now. :heat:
IMG02012-20130613-1332.jpg

Another good week of work in Wingville. Final drive, propeller shaft, rear wheel & tire, water pump spacer, altered rad fan cage, lower rad mounts, plus all the indoor activities at night, cleaning, polishing and getting everything laid out in order for assembly. I wanted to hear Suzy Q run before going any further to check my new method of setting the floats and the carb refresh that I did. Started out with fuel pump problems, replaced it with spare pump, made sure the battery was fully charged, turned on the fuel and lit the candle. Here's the results, mind you the rack was bench synched, air/fuel screws set on two rounds. The final air/ fuel adjustment will be made thru three rounds of adjustment and the carbs resynched once it cranks. Here's a video of the first crank.https://youtu.be/Woow1Iz7wfs I was very pleased.

:salute: Great effort Mike Suzy Q sounds great and I am sure that she will be even better when she gets dressed and gets some wind in her hair. :salute:

Today has been a long time a coming but technically, Suzy Q is now a running, ride-able, rolling chassis. Knock on wood, at the present there are no leaks, water or oil, cranks and runs sweet even though it hasn't been synced yet, the cooling system now works, fan comes on at six bars on temp gauge and shuts off at five bars, all brakes finished, installed, bled and working like new front and rear. Voltage check across battery with Honda stator is 14.62 v @ idle, 14.76 @ 3K, and 14.85 @ 5k. I'm a happy camper right now :yahoo: :yahoo: Now to get the wiring mod finished. Always sumpin. :builder:

cool mike I like when it gets there ...its a sign of payoff on effort that's hard to beat :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :yahoo: :yahoo: :beer: :builder: :whip: :mrgreen: ....im just stripping 84 dresser sheesh what a job getting all the human comfort parts off ... :heat: :fiddle: :mrgreen:

Yeah joe it was payday today. It's a lot of work stripping a dresser down but it's the only way to go if you plan on doing a whole lot of work on one, it makes it so much easier to do the mechanical work.