95 speedometer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it making any noises before it quit?
Getting to the cable connection at the dash cluster is a pita. It's easy enough to disconnect, but it's impossible to re-connect without removing the tupperware/windshield/gauge cluster. I've tried many times on mine....I just can't do it. Perhaps smaller hands could. I always wind up tearing the whole dang thing apart just to reconnect the cable. If you can disconnect the cable at the dash, you can see if the end is twisted off, or verify the cable itself is good from bottom to top. If it is, then the speedo head gear(s) is likely the problem. :(
I've had to remove the cable on mine several times to lubricate, because it gets to making a noise sometimes. I usually put a drop of light oil down into the speedo head while I'm there with the cluster out, just to be safe.

Last edited:
i checked it all out from the bottom, put a drill on the cable, nothing,... put it back together, rode to town, when i got back i could hear alot of noise coming from the speedometer, so i unhooked the cable at the wheel, think i can rule out it being the cable? if it's the speedometer, surly there has to be a place to send it, im not finding anyplaces on the outer net

Did you try the drill in reverse? Counterclockwise? If I’m not mistaken, which is possible, it needs to run counterclockwise to make the speedometer work. You could pull the cable at the wheel again, spin the wheel, and see which way it turns. However, if you’re hearing a bunch of racket coming from the unit itself this probably ain’t gonna help you much .

Did you try the drill in reverse? Counterclockwise? If I’m not mistaken, which is possible, it needs to run counterclockwise to make the speedometer work. You could pull the cable at the wheel again, spin the wheel, and see which way it turns. However, if you’re hearing a bunch of racket coming from the unit itself this probably ain’t gonna help you much .
ya, was yesterday, done all that, ty i watched a video that made it look like a sob too fix, had the whole bike apart, maybe not that bad

When I do my restorations I use a place called CB750FACES.COM for gauge parts. They have really nice stuff, and they are easy to deal with. I believe they are in the Netherlands, although I’m not sure about that cuz it’s been a couple of years since I’ve ordered from them. Anyway… I’ve noticed on their website that they offer “gauge restorations”. I’m not sure if that includes mechanical restorations or just cosmetic, but if you need your speedo looked at, it might be worth a try.

i checked it all out from the bottom, put a drill on the cable, nothing,... put it back together, rode to town, when i got back i could hear alot of noise coming from the speedometer, so i unhooked the cable at the wheel, think i can rule out it being the cable? if it's the speedometer, surly there has to be a place to send it, im not finding anyplaces on the outer net
So it is making noise but the speedo is NOT working, correct? I would have to assume at this point the issue is within the speedo head itself. Don't know of anyplace to send it to, sorry. Might be worth a shot to remove the cluster and take a look...might be a simple fix. I would probably see if it was something I could fix, and if not, look for a used one. That's just me. I replaced the speedo on "The Turd"('81 GL1100) several time over the years.

ok, ty
headed to lake Fork this weekend with friends, i wouldn't let the speedometer stop me, messing with a tire on my other bike, think i want to take it this time

Latest posts