A little seller's remorse.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowlover

Reaction score
Sold the Wing today. I really like cruising the highway on it, but with a 5 mile commute, it was not used nearly as much as my KLR. The smoking issue @ start up was still present, but I was used to it. I will miss the smooth evening rides @ 70 every time I fire the KLR up to that speed, but winter is approaching and snowmobiling season starts and I need some reserve cash for sleds.

I will some day own a Wing again. They just flat out eat up the highway.

The biggest remorse as it "trailered" away was the buyer was not a Wing lover as much as he just needed a street bike. It was 27 years old and no matter how solid they are, there will always be some tinkering on an older bike and I am not sure this guy is up to it. He has my number to call for help if needed and I told him about this forum.

Kinda sad, I always feel like that when letting any kind of vehicle go to someone else, especially when I tend to build up a long history with my vehicles.

Come next year I hope you'll get another 'Wing, til then hang around, more the merrier.

:crying: :( :cry: :(
Well crap...I hate to hear that, but...if you really weren't able to enjoy it all the time, it's understandable. Hope you can get back onto one in the future, tho. :yes:

:cool!: SLEDS did I hear someone say SLEDS
yepper it's gettin to be that time of year :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: not that I don't like ridin the Wing buuuuuuuuuttt when winter gets here I still need to play :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Sorry to hear you let your wing go- I bought mine in June- an '80 with (supposed but I have my doubts 6900 miles). Bike has definitely been garaged at least since '81- I bought it from the 2nd owner who bought it less than a year old. I've been riding her over to his place to try and get his '80 Vespa going again and he gets upset if I even leave her out in direct sunlight- he wants me to pull her into the shade if that happens- He doesn't even like the fact that I wash her with actual WATER.... I guess I'm supposed to brush her, rub her down with ointment, and cover her with a soft blanket every time I go for a ride....
You're right, though, a 30 year old Wing is going to take a lot of attention- Hey- if you can't put up with it, there are lot's of dealers willing to sell you a new bike with a warranty. If you read my posts it's been a real learning experience for me but the more I ride her the better it gets.
I travel a lot so I don't get to ride every day- last Saturday I checked her over, brakes OK, oil OK, tires OK, had the battery maintainer on her while I was gone, pulled out the choke and she fired right up. Cool! Getting ready to leave on another trip that afternoon just wanted to get one good ride in before I left. Got my chores done, put on my gear, backed her out of the garage and fired her up no problem. Coasted down the driveway, looked both ways then pulled out only to have NO throttle, backfiriring, no power- then she died- I mean I made it like 50 feet. The lights on the instruments were flashing, with the ignition switch on I'd go from 'oil light, bright light ( cause I ride with it on in the daytime), and Neutral- then everything dark no starter no nothing. At least I was barely 50 feet from the end of my driveway...
Pushed her back into the garage- uphill- damn I'm getting old, if my 80 year old neighbor hadn't helped me I don't thing I'd have made it. Got her in there- I'd have dash light then nada- I reached down and wiggled the connector from the ignition switch, kill switch anyway the 4 pin connector throught the starter solenoid- and everything started working. Bike started- bike rev'd- told my neighbor thanks, and went for a nice 20 mile ride ( I wanted to keep going but my wife was sitting in the car waiting for us to leave).
The thing is, with a 30 year old Wing, you have have to be willing to certain amount of attention- for me it's worth it- for some others- maybe not but, hey, whatever, to each their own...

Never, never, never, never, never sell!
Original owner 83 Interstate which I will pass along in my will. Same for my 65 XLCH.
Unfortunate past owner of several bikes that I'll never see the likes of again. :cry:
Jim

Latest posts