A review of a 1200.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
I've been asked recently for my thoughts on the new to me 1200 and the differences while upgrading from an 1100. Well here goes.

Is the 1200 any larger and or heavier? Yes and no. Yes the bike feels heavier, but as far as larger, I feel like I'm sitting down in it a little more and the seat height seems to be lower.

Is there a noticeable difference in power? I haven't noticed a great deal of an increase in power, but I've not had the chance to open her up. I have noticed that she'll jump above the speed that I'm aiming for faster than I intend on it. While trying to cruise at 60, if I'm not careful, I'll be doing 75 to 80 before realizing it.

The front wheel on the 1200 looks shorter and fatter, am I correct? Yes you're correct. I'm not sure of the exact size, but my 1100 had 19" front wheel, and if I'm not mistaken the 1200 has a 16" front wheel.

What do you think of the linked brakes? I haven't noticed a major difference with the linked brakes, other than a shortened stopping distance. With the trac anti-dive system, I'm not being pushed to the front of the bike.

Is the 1200 really a more refined machine than the 1100 or is it basically the same bike with fancier plastics and a slightly more powerful engine, and slightly improved handling? Yes the 1200 is more refined. The gearing difference is phenomenal. On my 1100, while running 70 mph, the tach was touching close to almost 6000 or more rpm. On the 1200 at 70 mph, the tach reads just above 3000 rpm. To try and explain the difference would be a disservice to the bike, it's one of those you have to be there experiences.

I haven't had it long enough to form my opinion on the differences between the 1100 and 1200 yet, but I hope this helps with any questions any one might have if they are thinking of upgrading.

its great to have you back in the saddle again .....ihave recently bought an 84 1200 standard they are very touring friendly grearing with lowest rpm of the 1200 models .... kind of like the 83 1100 is to the 1100 models .....cant wait to get mine home ......im pretty much sure i want to stop here for awhile on size of the bike i want ...the 1500 and 1800 are just to big for me and cost quite a bit more....so i think you came out well on this deal .... :mrgreen:

:eek:k: Glad you're enjoying the new ride! Guess just about every new model, or evolution of the model, makes an improvement....that's a good thing! :thanks: for sharing your observations! :clapping:

16 inch front tire and 15 inch rear tire. the 1200 is listed as havein more tq and hp than a 1100 but that power happens lower in the rpm range than on a 1100 so it can decieve you into thinking the 1100 has more power cause its spinning at a higher rpm than the 1200. my niece rides an '82 wing now, she had '79 wing last year and i we just had the same descussion about the difference between her wings. i told her that according to honda her '82 tachs about 3400 at 60 where as her '79 tached closer to 4000 rpm at 60 and a 1200 tachs just under 3000 rpm at 60 mph. enjoy your " new " 1200 plskthompson1

Good luck with the new bike!! I rode a 1200 out in Ohio two weeks ago and the first thing I noticed was that the seat is at least 3" lower than mine. It sure was smooth and I really liked the cruise control! Here are some pics of my 1100 compared to the 1200. The obvious differences are width, windshield size, height off the ground and tire size:

Attachments

• IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 1100 and 1200.JPG
    1100 and 1200.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 144
Upgrade is in the eye of the beholder :hi:

I have riden a couple 1200s and (compared to my 83 anyway) wouldnt trade for one.
The differances I have noticed I wouldnt call an improvement,or negative.Just differant.The big thing to me is that all three 1200s I have had experiance with had elictrical gremlins that would drive you batty.Makes me appreciate the simplicity of my 1100.I trust it far more than the 1200s I have worked on.

I am glad you are enjoying the 1200. I would like to try one. In the meantime, I am very happy with my 83 which seems to be a nice compromise between the two. The 83 has the cast wheels and the better highway cruising rpm's of the 1200 and like the other 1100's it can easily be converted to naked bike status without having to find a new tank cover.

Latest posts