A word of warning!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmover83

Reaction score
A word of warning to those who are going to be removing their carbs. in the future. Be real careful when pulling them out, so you don't catch an idle jet screw on the engine guard or something and snap off the head and have to replace it on a Saturday afternoon, luckily I had a friend with some to spare. This wasn't my first time to remove them it was about the fifth, just needed to fine tune the float height a little.

doh.gif
DOH!! :Awe:
Thanks for da heads up! :good:

Luckily I was able to back it out far enough with a sharp pointed pick to be able to grip it with some small needle nose. It's funny we always keep an eye on what we can see on top and forget about what we can't see on the bottom.

Even if it's broken off flush you should be able to Dremel a slot in it then back it out with a small straight-blade screwdriver- you'll probably take some carb aluminum off as well but it shouldn't hurt the carb function and it's where you can't see it when they're on the bike. I work on stuff with a lot of recessed allen-head screws and when they are stripped that's the best way to get them out.

Not trying to hijack the thread, ok...maybe, but that sounds as irritating as what I pulled one day.

I noticed after setting the floats on mine that I had a couple of the float bowls on the wrong carb, so I decided to put numbers on the float bowls to keep from confusing myself...counting to 4 is HARD.

Anyway, I thought I would get my letter/number punch set and punch some numbers into the bottom of the bowls. Well, after putting 3 numbers on, I thought I had the hang of it, and instead of tapping the hammer a few times to get the imprint, I thought I could get it done quicker by hitting the punch harder with the hammer...

...well, first hit was a good one, the second drove the punch right through the bowl. :salute:

I will tell you that stuff they advertise on tv, I think it's called 'alumiloy', works just as advertised. I bought a bundle of ebay about 10 years ago on a whim, and last summer was the first time I got to use it. I used it to plug the hole, and it hasn't leaked yet.