Adjusting valve lash- Can't get to the rotor bolt after cover removed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkwilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remove the cover and underneath is a round black rubber cap over the bolt- I can see the bolt head under the rubber cover but I( can't get the rubber cap off- HELP !!!!!!!!!!

That's an odd one, never heard of a rubber cap there and no reason for one.
Hmmm, can you dig it out with a screw driver or some kind of pick?
I'd like to see a picture of that cap if you can get one.

Dan,

Nevermind- remember I'm new to these Wings. I had the cam cover off instead of the rotor bolt cover- Thank goodness I didn't mess anythingup. Found the rotor bolt, adjusted the lash, no problems. Thanks.

82gl1100iwingman":uersgbab said:
What I do to adjust my valves is alot simpler. I put the bike on the center stand, put in fifth gear and rotate the rear tire to turn the motor over.

I did that with my old bandit because the alternative was to pull a cover which, if you were unlucky, required a new gasket. But, on the goldwing I prefer to pull the rotor cover bolt. It is very easy if you have the 12 mm offset wrench that comes in the tool kit. In fact, I just did my valves yesterday.

Thanks, guys- This original post was a result of me working on a 'wing for the first time from the manual-

A 12mm socket w/ rachet set to spin the right way works just fine- it has to be a short socket, though-

Remember- turn clockwise only!!!! Like you're tightening the bolt- NEVER TURN THE BOLT CCW!!!!!

Speaking of the stator bolt. That thing has a habit of losening up. At least mine did. I would check the torque on that bolt. One of the guys I work with the bolt backed out and stripped, we still haven't found a replacement bolt. :fiddle: