Any Smokers here?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
Not that kind of smoking.... I'm talking about BBQ, here!

Just got finished picking the carcass clean of a turkey I did today. It was sure good!

Mark

slabghost":1a1pz1fj said:
Oh yes we do that occasionally. Really good flavor. Did you use oak or mesquite chips?

I like apple chunks with poultry. I don't like to use chips at all, if I can avoid it. I'm a little weird in that I don't particularly care for mesquite.

I use lump charcoal on a Big Green Egg and John Henry's Apple Jerked chicken rub. I put the bird on a vertical roasting rack (think king sized beer can chicken). It's about the only way I'll cook a turkey; it comes out moist and yummy every time!

Mark

Oh, I love smoked turkey... I use Hickory for red meats and we all use oak too.. for a turkey I like mesquite chucks...One of those larger webers works great for smoked turkey, I use lemen pepper seasoning all over the turkey..put a couple of cut up apples in it as well...Oh yeh.... Yummy is right...Baby sit that sucker...Yes I'm a smoker..

littlebeaver":345165j4 said:
Oh, I love smoked turkey... I use Hickory for red meats and we all use oak too.. for a turkey I like mesquite chucks...One of those larger webers works great for smoked turkey, I use lemen pepper seasoning all over the turkey..put a couple of cut up apples in it as well...Oh yeh.... Yummy is right...Baby sit that sucker...Yes I'm a smoker..

I usually slice up an apple and use it to stuff the hole at the neck end, then pull the flap of skin over the top. In theory, this holds the smoke in the body cavity better and keeps the turkey moister. I forgot that step this time and it didn't seem to really matter.

I'm fortunate to be where I can BBQ all year round and we do. I did a prime rib for Christmas..... Man, that was good. A few years ago, our oven gave up the ghost on Thanksgiving morning and we had company coming. :shock: My wife was in full on panic mode, but I drug my gasser out of the weeds and fired it up for sides, did the turkey on the Big Green Egg (which was already planned). When the bird came off, I foil wrapped it and put it in an ice chest to rest while I did more sides on the Egg. Everything came out great and we jokingly referred to that Thanksgiving as our redneck turkey day. Since that time, we've continued to cook Thanksgiving dinner outside, which has been made easier with the addition of a homebuilt Big Ugly drum smoker. Here's a pic of my bbq corner.

DSC00707.jpg

The drum looks pretty new in this picture because it was. This was taken right before I did the first cook on it; a big ol' mess of ribs!

Quitting this kind of smoking is NOT on my list of New Year's resolutions! :yahoo:

Mark

I've never smoked anything but I must say that everything tastes better made on the grill.
Chicken, steak, corn on the cob, everything.
My very first grill on a new grill is hamburgers always, gets a good start on seasoning the grill plate.

dan filipi":2t2lfc98 said:
I've never smoked anything but I must say that everything tastes better made on the grill.
Chicken, steak, corn on the cob, everything.
My very first grill on a new grill is hamburgers always, gets a good start on seasoning the grill plate.

I agree with the statement that everything tastes better made on the grill. Especially if you cook with lump charcoal. Briquettes have too much filler and chems in them. Lump charcoal burns clean and makes food taste better.

You should try homemade lasagna done on the grill. Even a cheapie frozen pizza is dynamite done over charcoal.

Mark

ha ha ha silly rabbit....I would smoke the weed then everything would taste fastastic no matter how bad it was....I always put the coals off to one side and slow smoke for hours on end...I make the neighbor's crazy when I drop some onion in on tops of the coals, the smell is to die for...But Yardbird is a all time favorite too...That's chicken to those that don't know what Yard Bird is.. :smilie_happy: Garlic salt, onion powder, cheyenne pepper, course black pepper, twenty minutes before done I add my favorite sauce and closely watch as it will burn very easy..

I have tried smokin 'bout everything, but turkeys are the hardest to keep lit, in my opinion. But I suppose if ya use a big enough torch, like a flame thrower or like, ya could have some success. 'Course, dousing 'em with booze would help.
I usually smoke mine over an open fire with oak fuel. I had a blacksmith make me a stand and spit custom for me. (well, not for ME, but for my turkeys.) But some people think I'm quite a turkey anyway........

Oh :shock: :shock: here come the crazies again....I wish I had a stand like that, I like open grill like that too...

Behind Motorcycling/Maxi-Scooters, BBQing is my second hobby. I'm smoking a bacon wrapped meatloaf as I type. I've even competed a couple times. last year I got a first place trophy for my Chicken & Brisket. Even living in Wisconsin I do it year round.
I've got me a couple of those wood pellet smokers/grills. You just set the temps on them & let them go. I have a Traeger 070 that you can set the temps from 225 to 400 in 25 degree incriments. My Green Mountain Grill I can set the temps from 150 to 500 in 5 degree incriments. Which is nice. I can make my own jerky @ 170 degrees & grill a steak @ 500 degrees. Sometimes I'll somke pork chops for a while & then give them a grilled finish.
I can buy all kinds of flavored pellets. My favorites are Hickory, Apple, Cookingpellets & GMG pellets. Both of which are a blended pellet
The Traeger is on the left, GMG Jim Bowie on the right.
GEDC0243.jpg

For those who have never heard of Jim Bowie, he was a hero that fought at the Alamo and there was a pretty badass knife name after him or in his honor ... Impressive set up there, so how do you cook your turkey's...???? Please don't tell me you fry them...

littlebeaver":1v4lelbg said:
Impressive set up there, so how do you cook your turkey's...????

First off I mix a brine with some sea salt, Brown sugar, water & some seasonings & let it sit submerged in it. Usually go about a pound an hr. Then inject it with a creole or garlic butter mix. Rub it with my flavorite seasoning & stick it on the grill (Unstuffed) on a low smoke temp for a couple hrs With my remote thermometer probe stuck down in the thigh with the meter sitting by my side while I watch a Packer game. a
After a couple hrs I'll go turn up the grill to about 275 or 300 degrees & go back to the game until the thermostat starts talking to me which on a turkey is @ 175 degrees. I'll pull it @ 180 down by the thigh. Check the breast with a quick read thermometer to make sure its between 170 to 175. Pull it, rest it, Carve & serve. :lust:
Next one I may try the spatchcock method. Thats another story.