As anybody DIY resleeve cylinder block on cycle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctioneeral

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my neightbors tennage boy's honda 400ex atv. He brought the thing 2 months ago with it smoking real bad(blue smoke) using oil. I told him 3 weeks ago to buy a top end kit with the new cylinder, but he brought just standard rings & piston. Torn it down yesterday and told him we are wasting our time here. Because the piston that came out looks new and rings, but there is almost 1/8" movment in piston in the cylinder without rings. I check the end gaps on the new and old rings in the cylinder and they all have about 1/4" ring gap. So I have told him to buy a new standard cylinder $165. or just buy a standard top end kit with cylinder for $180.. Or take cylinder to machine shop and let them check it and tell you what size piston to get. But looking at buying piston/rings is over $120. So you my well just buy the whole kit. Then there is resleeving it, wish I found standard sleeve for $80. But I have never remove or installed a sleeve. Are they hard to do with basic tools. Because that would be the cheapest wat to go. Because the kid as no $. So i'm just looking for cheapest way.
What are your thought's.
2002 honda 400ex bet to death.

He should just go sleeveless...after all, we're all guaranteed the right to bare arms! :BigGrin:

But, seriously, I would imagine a machine shop would need to do a re-sleeve, as the existing cylinder would need to be bored out to the exact size needed for an interference fit of the new sleeve. Then chill the sleeve, heat the cylinder, and very quickly install it. I have no idea what the charge would be for something like this.

Best of luck with it!

Cheapest path isn't really that easy. Even beaten to death as you say it is unlikely open to the next piston size. However many breakers are selling used pistons. If you can find some that are close and just hone the old cylinders you may have a bit stronger motor too when you're done.

Sleeving isn't that cheap, besides the sleeve you are buying two bore jobs. The cylinder gets bored for the sleeve, then the id of the sleeve has to be bored/honed to suit the new piston. It's not economically feasible to do that unless you are trying to save some rare , unobtainable part.

I gave up with the resleeve job. I had the boy purchase a new top end kit with cylinder,piston,rings and gaskets. Now just to wait to get part's this week. $210. for the top end kit.