Aspencade radio noisy volume controls

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlslick

Reaction score
I finally got around to checking out the radio while working on an 82 GL1100 Aspencade i recently bought. It seems that the radio and the CB work, havent tried the intercom yet. When I turn the volume controls there is quite a bit of static while moving the knobs. Does anyone have any experience at what can be done to clean that up? Or should I leave that to a professional?

Over time the tiny contacts get dirty.
A quickly fix is to rotate the knob repeatedly from off to full over and over.
20-30 times might clean them enough.
If not then try spraying plastic safe contact cleaner in thru the stem with a nozzle, rotate a bunch more to clean.

I have been known to destroy while fixing but I bet I am not alone on that. It usually occurs when I am trying to fix something that eveyone else just replaces. I am VERY frugile.

dlslick":27f1xnrs said:
I have been known to destroy while fixing but I bet I am not alone on that. It usually occurs when I am trying to fix something that eveyone else just replaces. I am VERY frugile.
Me too. I've even gone so far as to take a starter solenoid apart to clean the contacts. It worked until I sold the car a year later.