ATF Fuel Addative Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am on my second tank of fuel using ATF in the tank and you can call me crazy, but I could swear that when I start the bike up it just smells different. It doesn't spew the blue cloud of smoke associated with oil getting past the rings on the left bank, but it just smells like burning oil. Un until now, I normally do not shut off the fuel petcock because I have never had a problem with it, but I think I am about to change this habit. So I guess my concern is: Is this normal for running ATF in the fuel?

The ATF will separate out of the fuel while sitting, even overnight. So the first firing will have a little more ATF in the cylinders, since it is picking up the ATF rich fuel from the bottom of the bowls. Won't hurt a thing. Mine will always blow a quick puff of smoke out the pipes, and have a smell when I first start it with ATF in the tank, after it has been sitting. If I haven't had any ATF in the fuel for a couple of tanks, it doesn't do that. It's all good. :eek:k:

Joel I hadn't given seperation a thought, but that makes perfect sense.

I want to get a few more tanks through it to see what it does for my fuel mileage: now that family funerals are behind me, maybe that will happen. Gerry was beating me up on the trip out and back to Joe's as I was having to stop for fuel sometimes 20 or 30 mile before he had to. Sure I was running higher RPM's on my 81 but I have also been noticing a decline in miles per tank, so I am keeping a close eye on it right now.

Anything over 65mph on mine the fuel mileage goes to crap, no matter if I have ATF or not. If I stay at or under 65, I'll get 42mpg easily.

Naphtha, kerosene, WD40, ATF and many other concoctions have been added to gasoline and people swear they are the cure all. Naphtha is a higher distillate and will raise you octane and many of the the distillates will change the effective burn rate when combined with gasoline. This affects the engines timing, depending the percentage added sometimes positively and sometimes not.

Fuel adjustments via octane are a regular occurrence when engine timing adjustment is what should be done to fit the engine load and this will vary with each gear and wind shear loads. (Raise the octane it will quite pinging) Do you think the timing should be the same in 1st gear as it is in 5th gear at the same rpm?
Seems like correct timing for load conditions and fuel used would important information to understand.

ATF, because it has the words detergents used with it doesn't mean they burn clean in the combustion chamber. It means they suspend, clean, lubricate seals and survive in high heat extreme conditions without scorching, remember its a hydraulic system.

This is just my 2 cents so please keep up the testing and remember take as much video and in this case audio as possible to record the results.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93867#p93867:2hdp0qvo said:
brianinpa » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm[/url]":2hdp0qvo]
Joel I hadn't given seperation a thought, but that makes perfect sense.

I want to get a few more tanks through it to see what it does for my fuel mileage: now that family funerals are behind me, maybe that will happen. Gerry was beating me up on the trip out and back to Joe's as I was having to stop for fuel sometimes 20 or 30 mile before he had to. Sure I was running higher RPM's on my 81 but I have also been noticing a decline in miles per tank, so I am keeping a close eye on it right now.
Hey Brian, when I was running the '81 engine in the bike, I would still go 150 miles before needing to switch to reserve. (About 37-38 MPG)

When we were running at 80-82 MPH, I was averaging 41 MPG. Is there a chance your floats are not set right and you might be dumping as much gas as you are burning?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94020#p94020:3bmuvgre said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm[/url]":3bmuvgre]
Hey Brian, when I was running the '81 engine in the bike, I would still go 150 miles before needing to switch to reserve. (About 37-38 MPG)

When we were running at 80-82 MPH, I was averaging 41 MPG. Is there a chance your floats are not set right and you might be dumping as much gas as you are burning?

Gerry to be honest, at this point I am not rulling anything out, but I will add that this is my second tank full with ATF added, and I have gone 20 miles further on 3/4 of a tank than I did on the last tank, and I have been doing the same kind of riding for both tanks. I am trying this route first before I open up the carbs because it's hard to say what all that corn syrup that is added to the fuel has done to the insides for so long.

well it amazed me how a tank of atf mix in jerrys bike brought the caompressoin up on his bike and them the carbs could be dealt with ....brian your bike runs better than jerrys did so im thinking your spot on keep using it for awhile ....it works while we ride it don't get any better :mrgreen:

Yeah Joe, now that family matters are behind me, I hope to be able to put some miles on the bike this weekend... A perfect chance to clear the carbs and also clear the head.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94238#p94238:2n0xr2n0 said:
toytender01 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:36 am[/url]":2n0xr2n0]
Just don"t ride north of Yosemite in Calif. you won't clear your head there

We could hardly see the building next door in Reno and driving down to Vegas the smoke was evident almost down to Tonopah. I thought that I had seen bush fires but I don't ever remember seeing the smoke so heavy and so far away from the fire source. I have been praying for rain to end the fires :beg:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95268#p95268:1w593sti said:
bdukes » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:55 am[/url]":1w593sti]
How much atf do you put in a tank of gas.
6-8 ounces.

How do you calculate miles per gallon when you add 8 ounces of ATF?
Gas only or gas + ATF?

Is the better mpg due to more liquid?