backfire

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvjoiner

Reaction score
The saga continues I have a 1987 gl1200 that backfire thru the exhaust hare ALL of the things I do to it,
1st had a water pump go bad and burn a head gasket,replace both along with new timing belts and cleaned carbs using spray carbs cleaner
2nd had a bad power wire to the coils and cdi ,No spark, Did a coil mod.see attachment still no spark, Thought it was a bad pulse generator,replace them no luck so replace cdi with a used one still no luck then found bad wire, replace it and it runs
3rd now that it runs I have a bad backfire could it be that the carbs are out of synced

Attachments

• coil_diagram.jpg
    coil_diagram.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 217
Did you pull the carb rack when you replaced the head gaskets and if you did, there is an anti- afterburn valve on the bottom of the rack and it along with the slow-air valve helps eliminate backfire on the 1200, so you have to have the vacuum lines hooked up to them properly. If the vacuum lines are right, the afterburn valve 0-ring may be bad or the valve itself.