Battery or Stator

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had noticed when spinning mine that one direction it made a clicking noise, the normal rotation it was quiet. Not sure it matters, could it be brushes or the slip rings are directional?

Not sure what your clicking is, WF, but older alternators won't have the clutch. More modern ones incorporated a one-way clutch. I think it has something to do with prolonging the life of the alternator by allowing it to "coast" to a stop when the engine is shut off. (Some engineer with too much time on his hands obviously came up with it). The clutch is in the pulley, I believe, so theoretically could be removed...

Hi everyone been a few months, As I was preparing to start the upgrade/repair I was side tracked- the 35 yr. love of my life and wife was diagnosed with Breast cancer, and it's been "HELL" since.
But after Surgery's, month's of Chemo and then targeted radiation (Laser treatments which burn the skin) Thursday was her last treatment "She is recovering quite nicely" said the Dr.'s
Now time to try and pay for it, nice to have good insurance but it doesn't cover everything. Anyway I've been rat holing $10 to $20 here and there and have decided to just replace the stater. I'll be getting it in a couple more payday's and will probably need a tip or two, Well thank's for the use of your ear's or eye's in this case.

Latest posts