Battery Shopping for 82 aspy.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl62cycles

Reaction score
Went to start my wing & motor didn't turn not even a bit, pilots lights going out when pressing start button.Battery is a high performance sealed Yuasa YTX24HL-BS.it's been on the bike for the last 5 years more or less.Guess I'll will have to shop for a new one.Was thinking if a sealed YTX20HL-BS which have high cranking power versus Yuasa Y50-N18L-A. but on yuasa site it shows 1.8 amp against 2.0 amp on a Yuasa Y50-N18L-A .Is it that big of a difference a 0.2 less on the bike electrical system?

I looked at the Yuasa site. If your going to stick with running a wet cell battery, I'd get the same one you have, a YTX24HL-BS.

Yuasa is a very good battery but expensive. For the same or less you can get a AGM, though it may not outlast the Yuasa at least no worries with battery acid.

This would be one of my first choices. $100 incl shipping. Would have to verify the fit though:

big-etx30l_lg.jpg

https://www.batterymart.com/p--Big-Crank ... eries.html

Can probably find it for less.

dan filipi":fwi9e1bg said:
I looked at the Yuasa site. If your going to stick with running a wet cell battery, I'd get the same one you have, a YTX24HL-BS.

Yuasa is a very good battery but expensive. For the same or less you can get a AGM, though it may not outlast the Yuasa at least no worries with battery acid.

This would be one of my first choices. $100 incl shipping. Would have to verify the fit though:

big-etx30l_lg.jpg

Is Big crank better than Yuasa ytx24hl-bs ?

carl62cycles":325pr9n7 said:
dan filipi":325pr9n7 said:

big-etx30l_lg.jpg

Is Big crank better than Yuasa ytx24hl-bs ?

I can only say from my experience the AGM batteries will hold a charge without being connected to a charger and they don't leak any acid.
Whether the Big Crank is better or will last longer I cannot honestly say because I don't have any experience with the Big Crank. There are guys on the various forums running it and like it a lot and swear by it.

+1 on the Big Crank. I know many who've been very happy with them. Mine's 3 years old and going strong. But, like any battery that doesn't get constant use, you need to keep it on a reliable intelligent charger when not in use if you want it to last well into it's warranty period. Your GL takes a Big Crank ETX18L. Shop around on that model number for the best price.

Placerville":1mp7z5za said:
+1 on the Big Crank. I know many who've been very happy with them. Mine's 3 years old and going strong. But, like any battery that doesn't get constant use, you need to keep it on a reliable intelligent charger when not in use if you want it to last well into it's warranty period. Your GL takes a Big Crank ETX18L. Shop around on that model number for the best price.
Thank you for the info :thank_you:

Placerville":17c42e9e said:
I am assuming that the Big Crank ETX18L is also the same as the "Extreme Magna Power ETX18L" and that both batteries are the American Made Deka ETX18L?

mcgovern61":3v157xkw said:
I went to AutoZone for the "Extreme Magna Power ETX18L" AGM for $89.99. Turns out, the battery is actually a DEKA ETX18L! over 2 years and I am very happy with it!

viewtopic.php?p=26363#p26363

Same here. Autozone, $89 & change, absolutely no problems so far. Put mine in a couple summers back. :good:

Undecided between best cranking + longer life 1) Yuasa YTX24HL-BS , 2) Oddysey PC680 , 3)Big Crank ETX30L , :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

carl62cycles":21sken6u said:
dan filipi":21sken6u said:
It is a hard choice.
I went though the same thing and decided to try out the Odyssey.
So far so good.
When you received it did you have to charge it or was it ready to install ?
They say ready to install but I did put it on the charger first which immediately showed full charge.