Bertha's Single Carb Conversion Chapter Deaux Plus a major transplant revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The runner to head bolt is 6mm-1.0 if thats what your looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fixed the bad bolt. I found a self tapping 1/4 bolt. It worked great. Just wide enough to make its own thread and it seated very nicely. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

yea 33. bucks for the helicoil kit, 23 cents for the bolt. The machinist I talked to said that was the cheapest route, he had to do it to his wing ding, and they are perfect.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125981#p125981:1ibcvf38 said:
Steve83 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:19 pm[/url]":1ibcvf38]
All hail the mighty self-tapping screw!! :music: Hero to many frantic over-tighteners!! :clapping:

oh my truth hurts but yes completely right :smilie_happy:

now that i timed it, i can get it to idle at 750 rpm,,,not real attractive sounding but it sits there and chugs away...i set it to 1000 to 1100

I like a little lope in the idle but that's just me. A bit more adjustment will smooth that out too if it's needed.

my carb witch quite different in air flow ...still indicates to big idle jet ... and it is 45 jet ... need to try 40 jet ....my idle is the best its ever been and does ok but id call it soggy at best .. and i can tell it needs to be leaner

It is riding much better now, I timed it, and its going okay, I can cruise on it, and get good responses, but it still has a flat spot at 3800 to 4200 rpm. Jetting for sure.

My son visited and got me a surprise. 4 cans of gloss black Red Devil Spray Paint. And I have a full drawer of wet sand-able sandpaper, and finish grade stuff with sanding blocks. I am pretty sure I can get through the side panels on 2 cans, but the fairing might need a third can. Plus I need two cans for the saddle bags. Yep its time to bring some darkness into the picture. Now I need to sweet talk the wife into a nice new feeler gauge set so I can get the valves set, and the entire 25,000 mile service will be done. Guys you can't believe how much better this bike sounds every time I ride it. Its like its settling in, and it definitely has personality now.

That has been the frustrating the about this whole experience, it has come close so many times, and man when the fuel system goes bad, it really destroys what these bikes can do. With the four carbs (and mind you they were not in good shape) it ran very poorly. I was able to drive it, but it always had to work. But the compression and everything else is fine.

Just shows you how badly an item falls into disrepair when you ignore it. The previous owner loved this bike enough to have nearly every accessory in the book, but when the boat came along they tossed this poor bike aside and completely ignored it.

Oh, the air filter was on cock eyed on my test run last night so it was not sealed, I am about to go ride it to see if mounting the air filter correctly has a positive affect.

Than I get to start digging through threads and looking for guidance on the jetting.

I will admit it, I gave up on this bike. If it had not been for the generous "donation/repayment of debt" with the long block, and the input of all you guys, this thing was scrap heap bound. I fix and flip vintage bikes. But this one is a keeper I think, its just too cool how it rides like a bike but sits high and feels like a truck.

Man, that's so good to hear Kraig. I'm really glad things turned around, and glad you're able to ride it, flat spot or not! I'm sure you'll be able to get that ironed out!

lows and mid are too rich thats an easy fix.

today i will be using another L bracket to make a larger throttle arm.

Oh and I am mounting the new saddle bags. I have to wash and paint them before I hang them, but the brackets are going on today.

Well, I did not get to the bags yet. I spent the afternoon doing the new extended throttle arm I had to add. Like I pointed out last night, the full range of the throttle was all within a twist that measured about one inch on the throttle. I had to lengthen the throttle turn. It was impossible to take off gently, and it made gear transitions really challenging.

So I modified an L-bracket I bought on clearance for 33 cents. I drilled two holes in the bracket used to mount the bracket to the bottom of the existing arm. I was running the throttle right off the provided nipple on the linkage, but the throw was way to compact.

ANyway, I effectively added 3/4 of an inch to the length of the arm with the mod. Now I get a nice full spin on the throttle. It seems to ease it into the various stages of the carb easier, so I am not dumping on it all at once anymore. It runs much smoother now, and it is very easy to turn. The throttle is very easy on the hands and behaves like normal now, even better.

Hopefully this is the last time I have to pull the carb for a while.