Best anti-freeze for GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silicate is highly recommended.
The research I've done other places besides GoldWing forums has the same recommendations.

I use Prestone 50/50.

My '77 is running Shell Rotella ELC and seems to be happy with no leaking or water pump issues, and the '81 is running exactly what dan has there.

Honestly, I think if you keep the cooling system cleaned and maintained it doesn't matter what brand you use.

Good question. I recently have been having a hard time finding coolant labeled as being silicate free. Could it be that silicate free is such an industry standard to where they don't even bother to place it on the label?

I went to an auto parts store and out of 8 different brands of coolant only one said it was silicate free. Wal Mart only had three kinds of coolant, one of which is the Prestone 50/50 which is what I got. Since there are Wal Marts everywhere I guess it is not that hard to find.

I needed coolant because I am replacing the fan switch - I ended up using the '94 Geo Metro switch. I will finish putting it together tonight and in the near future I will post how I did it and how well it works. I just need to make sure I change the settings in my camera because I had tried posting some nice pictures of my bike earlier but the file size was too big.