Best Laid Plans and planning is indespensable, not really a rant

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased my new to me 1984 Interstate in May of this year.
I had always wanted a Wing however, circumstances didn't even let me ride.

Now that the kids were grown and off to college I had started looking around and just didn't find anything that fit my fancy or my pocketbook.

Suddenly one day over on Facebook a relative had posted a Craigslist link and how he really liked the freebie section.
I checked out his link then clicked around a bit and staring back at me on the page was a 1984 Interstate in my little hometown (that was a shock since I come from the middle of eastern oregon) and it was nearly in my price range.
Well needless to say, although it had sat for over a year, it ran ok and I wound up with it in my garage by the next evening.

I rode the old gal from May into Late July noting the various things I knew I would be working on this winter. I put about 4K on her as the riding in Eastern Oregon is fabulous and the weather is great most times.

Due to a death in the family I wound up mostly parking her and moving to Kitsap Peninsula in Washington state.
Now gearing up to do the planned winter maintenance.

Carb Rebuild - Randak Kits
Antifreeze replacement, Hoses, Thermostat, Radiator cap, and Cooling System Flush
Timing Belt and tensioner replacement
Progressive Springs in the Front.
Brake Pads all around.
New oil and filter.

Once back on the road - trip to Honda dealer for Ignition Switch replacement(Safety)

Well due to the move I have been working on getting some garage space so I have an area to work so the maintenance has been delayed(probably a good thing)

I moved the wing out of the garage and was looking her over and noticed some wet streaks on the left brake and that side of the tire.

On closer inspection it is apparent that my left side Fork seal has failed and it is leaking oil all over the place.
Uggh, one more thing to work on.

It really doesn't bother me, maybe a little, but I figure I can't do any serious riding until March around here anyway. It rains a lot and while I am not a "fair weather" rider per se, it isn't nearly as appealing to "suit up" for a ride so I can stay dry.

Anyway, not really ranting I expected overdue maintenance and much needed old part failures when I bought her. Just always nice to find a surprise when you least expect it.

The good thing is that I had just been contemplating taking the fairing off for the work I was planning to do. This now tells me I would be further ahead to do just that and it appeared before I was down a path that would have made it more difficult to accomplish.

Keeping at it for the ride.

It can be frustrating and rewarding at the same time! You will get it all done and be glad that you did. Keep at it!! :builder: :popcorn:

i would strip it down to go over everything ..sure makes it easier and more fruitful to learn ...but it has to be done with the upmost awarenest as to not get lost ..not easy ..but not bad either if you keep fustration away

You wanted progressives up front. The seal is just inviting you to get busy. Seals would need changed for the job anyway. Well maybe not but still a great idea. Removing the fairing isn't too hard a job.

Yea I agree with all that is stated.

I figured it was just one more reason to dig in a little deeper.
The only setback I see. I had held off on getting a jack/lift just trying to balance funds etc.
The unplanned move and now a need to commute regularly has set us back a bit as well as other issues.

Now to do front forks I really should have a lift although not absolutely necessary.
Fortunately, there are options ranging from used at near new prices, Harborfreight has there item and of course Sears/Craftsman has a special on their 1500lb lift at the moment.

I will need to rely on this for a 60 mi commute each way 1-2 x per week so anything I do to her is good forward planning on that front.
While I am in here I will also do the stator plug mod as it is very wet out here in the Peninsula.

Everything has seemed operational and very functional that I have looked at thus far.
I had the rear splines checked and lubed by Honda Dealer when they did back tire. I also got to look at all of that while they had it on lift. They also checked bearings, swing arm and steering head as I did also.

By and large she seems to be a solid machine with 40K miles on her.
Just needs some TLC.

I do need to figure out how to pull radio from the dash slot, My key won't work and there seems to be an intermittent in the connections.
Figure driving 60 miles each way tunes would be nice to have....

Forgot to mention earlier, I have also decided to do a Water Pump replacement. Remember that one scene in Days of Thunder when Duvall looked under the race car and she had a tiny bit of hemorrhage on the ground night before the big race? I noticed a tiny bit of puke on the ground mostly oil but thought it had a tiny bit of antifreeze in the weephole. That told me better to do this one while she is almost this far down rather than stopping and then wishing I would have sometime this summer.

oh and Joedrum, I have looked at some of your projects. They are awesome but I am not quite ready to dig in that far. Maybe in the future but not today.

:thanks: I know she is worth it to put all the time into at this point and I am still dollars ahead of where I could be had I bought something newer.

Now I need to just get cracking :whip:

I had a bad front seal leak this summer on my 77. I bought a Sealmate for a few bucks to try, not expecting it to work. To my surprise, it cured it for the summer. Do a search, there are video instructions. It might buy you another season.

I thought about a seal mate as an option when I was seeing a tiny wetness after a ride.

Now that I see a pretty good amount of leakage just sitting and I am going to need her dependable I figure I may as well do it since I am off for weather and don't have to commute until Late March anyway.

Thanks for the reminder though.

While you are down and in such a wet location. It would be a very good idea to clean all the wiring connections. Tighten all the female connectors. And apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease to all connections including light bases.