Best trip you've ever had on your bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
It's a toss up for me between a 5 day trip to AZ to a meet and greet, and a 3 day trip up North with my son for his birthday camping.

Both were awesome with great weather, especially the AZ trip with the weather, perfect riding temps and no wind. Seemed like the wind was always at our backs and I met some great folks.

The camping trip with my boy was priceless.
We got to know each other, very quality time together.
We saw a movie, watched T.V in the rental trailer, went for rides in the country, ate nothing but junk.

Ok, ok. That trip was the best one. (As I choke back a tear).

What's your's?

This past August - A long weekend trip to Front Royal, VA for camping and riding. Left Friday morning in a monsoon but it cleared up as I rode South. Saturday was spent riding the Skyline Drive and then Sunday I selected "Shortest Distance" on the GPS and saw parts of West VA that I never would have seen. I kept expecting to hear banjos. :shock:

All totaled, 725 miles in the three days and spent some time with great people and had a lot of fun.

WindNWing":yl8cz1nb said:
One of my best rides was the trip back from Joe Drum's........One of the most agravating was the ride TO Joe's......nuff said.
Gotta agree with ya there Gary.

I've made some good ones, but not the best one, YET!!!!! :smilie_happy: :Egyptian: Up to this point it was a week long trip in the Ouachita and Ozark mountains of North Arkansas with my first wife, on our 1976 750-4. Memories. Hmmmmm.

For me it was a ride up the California, Oregon coast beginning in San Francisco, the wine country and then over to Fort Bragg, did the lost redwoods, that is a neat ride and really off the beaten path. Columbia river and Mt hood is awesome I returned on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains, Crater Lake, and then the Lassen Loop, Feather River canyon and back home via highway 49. Spent five days, camped out at Best Western, too old for pitching tents and sleeping on the ground. The wing ran perfectly and just added to the blessing of that trip. Only bad thing that happened was my Nikon Camera, and Laptop got stolen, that really hurt, it was the first time out with the Nikon D60, but such is life.

mwbill37841":8w3k76ln said:
i don't know why going to joe's was bad i had a great time.
It was the trip GETTING there.
VERY long.
It got to the point I was having trouble seeing the right line and center line.
But.....we were on a mission to get there :fiddle:

Once there we all had a great time!

Well...to be honest, I've never really taken a long trip on a bike. Tried a few times back when I had the 750A....but every time we tried to head out, we would run into bad weather. We did make it to our destination ONCE....but the event we were going to(drag races) was cancelled due to weather...so we stayed in a motel overnight, and rode back home the next day.
I'm a little askeered to even attempt a multi-day trip these days.....:beg: :whistling:

Here is a pic from the failed trip to the drag races. You can see on the right side of the pic the storm clouds that are moving in. That's my 750A on the right, and my buddy's(actually my cousin's husband) 850 Motoguzzi bringing up the rear.

I know I'm a pig if I say it out loud, but I actually have the best rides when I'm alone. Just me and the voices playing our head tunes.

In 79'-80ish I was working in a machine shop in Long Beach. We made drilling equipment for off shore rigs. It was a union shop, and I got holidays off with pay. I also got my birthday off with pay. That year the 4th of July was on a Thursday, the 5th is my birthday so I got Friday off, then there was the 2 day weekend, 5 days paid vacation, then the trailing 2 day weekend.
So there was a paid holiday - paid birthday - 5 days paid - and 2 back to back weekends. Total = 11 days.
I rolled up a sleeping bag and bungeed it to the handlebars of the shovelhead. I had nowhere to be and no time to be there. I ended up in San Francisco for the night, then across to Sacramento, and on up to Tahoe. Just beebopped around for 11 days where ever the wind blew me, discovering lakeside campgrounds, bars, etc.
In that same era I rode a hardtail from Compton to Des Moines in January. That was the most miserable trip I ever took.

After 20 years of not having a motorcycle, the trip to Randsburg on the GoldWing was very enjoyable.

One fathers day my son and I had sort of a bonding moment when we rode to Fort Ord in Monterey. Thats where I took basic training and I haven't been back since. (40 years) I decided it was time to close another chapter in my life and asked my son if he wanted to go. The place has been closed down for quite some time now and many buildings are just not there anymore, and what remains is overgrown and derelict. It's a sad thing to see really. We found my old barracks and wandered through dangerous shambles. Then we visited the ammo bunkers and firing ranges on the beach. We collected artifacts from the range like old rusty bullets and brass casings from 5.56 & 7.62 rounds that have probably been laying downrange since WW2. I wonder which ones were mine? I don't know who enjoyed the day more, me or the kid. I know I left there satisfied with the closure I needed. So far I've had 20 fathers days, but this will be the one I remember.

Well, I would say, my best trip was going out west. I left Montreal, drove down to the states went to Mount Rushmore, Dead Wood, Washington, up to Vancouver and drove across Canada back home, that was one trip and a half. My second best was last year, I went to the Grand Canyon and up true Colorado, that was an amazing trip.

Attachments

• 100_1219.jpg
    100_1219.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_1228.jpg
    100_1228.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 100_1284.jpg
    100_1284.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 164
dan filipi":1hr8az0w said:
WindNWing":1hr8az0w said:
One of my best rides was the trip back from Joe Drum's........One of the most agravating was the ride TO Joe's......nuff said.
Gotta agree with ya there Gary.
:blush: Sorry guys. But you should have weathered our trip home. :head bang: :head bang:

I know I know :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: My best ride was today... :shock: But my best next ride will be tomorrow... Hey guys I have been eyeballing this coleman foldout cot at walmart but funds are getting less and less around here gosh darn it.....This is my favorite time of year to go camping on the bike...I too enjoy riding alone and hanging out alone just like a lot of you.....My daughter drives me to that because she never shuts up :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: ...Constent chatting...Just like her Daddy...ha ha :smilie_happy: