Bike acts like it has a rev limiter in around 5000 rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick woods

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1000
I have a 81 GL1100 I fully restored this bike that's the one that I've been working on for the past 6 months now I got it on the road and as long as you accelerate normally it'll go through the gears it'll go through the RPM range just fine smooth this silk. But if I get on it 3/4 throttle or more as soon as you hit 4500 to 5,000 RPM it's like it has a rev limiter even sounds like it has a rev limiter. I rebuilt the original carbs and done it with those went through them two or three times, so I bought a set of 83 carbs from Phillip Dan's he knows the carburetors well. I rebuilt these carburetors they are tip top perfect shape I have been rebuilding carburetors for a very long time so I know it is not the carburetors. Compression good on all cylinders 150 to 155 great spark but I do not know what is causing this problem has anyone ever had this kind of problem with their GL1100 I'm wondering if it has something to do with the pulse generator please any help would be fantastic . Things I know it was not it is not the carburetors two sets same problem it is not the valves compression good no problem there. It almost acts like it is starving for fuel has plenty of fuel flow though

Choke partially on, exhaust collapse (they are double-wall, I recall hearing of one with just the inner wall collapsed).
I stated earlier it's nothing in the carburetor system these are two different sets of carburetors all with rebuilt internals and it still does the exact same thing I'm wondering if it might be the fuel pump or the coils

An '81 1100 should pull over 4500 RPM hands down. Matter of fact, because it has slightly different gearing and wheel size, it tends to run higher RPM at highway speed that the '82-'83 models. With new coils and wires, did the spark color change to blue? Couple of quick questions:
* Once warmed up, sitting on the center stand, if you blip the throttle real fast does it bog briefly or spin up instantly?
* No load condition, can the engine get above 4500 RPM?
* Might seem silly, but, how many MPG are you getting or how many miles before you need to go to reserve?
* Is there any backfire at any time?
* Assuming fuel filter has been changed, but was the tank cleaned? If it was, was it coated afterward?

An '81 1100 should pull over 4500 RPM hands down. Matter of fact, because it has slightly different gearing and wheel size, it tends to run higher RPM at highway speed that the '82-'83 models. With new coils and wires, did the spark color change to blue? Couple of quick questions:
* Once warmed up, sitting on the center stand, if you blip the throttle real fast does it bog briefly or spin up instantly?
* No load condition, can the engine get above 4500 RPM?
* Might seem silly, but, how many MPG are you getting or how many miles before you need to go to reserve?
* Is there any backfire at any time?
* Assuming fuel filter has been changed, but was the tank cleaned? If it was, was it coated afterward?
It runs perfect any other time does not bog it acts like it has a clutter box it revs fine when not under load no issue great gas mileage I'm gonna remove the timing advance tomorrow see if I spot anything cause it acts like an ignition problem

this might be of no value, but, the high speed jets on my 85 wing use a combination of low and high speed jets below 4k rpm. Above that number it is solely high speed jets. Based on that, i would be looking into the speed jets curcuit. Of course i could be way off base. Good luck with your chase though

this might be of no value, but, the high speed jets on my 85 wing use a combination of low and high speed jets below 4k rpm. Above that number it is solely high speed jets. Based on that, i would be looking into the speed jets curcuit. Of course i could be way off base. Good luck with your chase though
This is a great observation and thank you for the input. I agree normally I would say this would be a carburetor issue thing is this is a separate set of carburetors that I've stuck on this both freshly rebuilt but with still the same symptom this one's got me pretty stumped I took the spark advancer out today it was a little sticky so I'm hoping once I get everything button back up the issue will be resolved

I cleaned all the advance but being behind the swing arm I've not got it all back together yet I'm hoping this was it it had some rust on the advancer and was sticking a little. Coil is new it's a neon coil that I just put on chasing the problem

I cleaned all the advance but being behind the swing arm I've not got it all back together yet I'm hoping this was it it had some rust on the advancer and was sticking a little. Coil is new it's a neon coil that I just put on chasing the problem
Hoping this was the last issue and it worked?

Hoping this was the last issue and it worked?
Unfortunately It did not work. gonna go ahead and change the fuel pump see if it works although I don't have much faith lol if this don't work I'm gonna check the air cutoff valves , although they are new they were aftermarket may bite the bullet and get some Honda brand ones also got some new plug wire resistor caps on the way

Also, you noted that 2 different carb sets were used, both recently overhauled, so carbs might be able to be ruled out. Fuel delivery under load is a different story. The carbs can only put out the amount of fuel delivered to them.

So, if you get into 5th gear and slowly raise the throttle as you reach highway speeds, can you creep up past 5000 RPM? If not, then I would assume gas delivery to the carbs is being either restricted or starved. New gas lines by chance?

Latest posts