Blue Smoke

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrscamhlspouse

Reaction score
I have Dunlop 491's on my 86 Aspencade. The front was on it when I bought it with 36,000 miles and The rear was installed new by the man I bought it from in Sept. of 2007. It now has 54,000 on it and the rear has probably 1/3 tread left and the front is due for replacement in the spring but is still not in to the wear bars, but will replace it due to the age of it. Very satisfied with these tires. Also Honda does not recommend ANY cruiser tire be used on a Goldwing, I was told by Dunlop that cruiser tires are not stiff enough sidewalls for the heavier bikes. Also, to change the subject, what, besides a blown head gasket would make my wing smoke blue? It has done it ever since I had it and has never used a drop of water so I can't hardly believe it is a head gasket. Also it only does it sometimes. Carbs are running rich, I can tell by exhaust, But really overall it runs like a charm. I had an 84 that did that from the day I bought it and I bought it brand new. Any suggestions????

Could be too much oil vapor from the crankcase vent. Rich mixture may be an issue. Resetting the air fuel mix may improve mileage and reduce smoke.

jrscamhlspouse":1585bggp said:
I have Dunlop 491's on my 86 Aspencade. The front was on it when I bought it with 36,000 miles and The rear was installed new by the man I bought it from in Sept. of 2007. It now has 54,000 on it and the rear has probably 1/3 tread left and the front is due for replacement in the spring but is still not in to the wear bars, but will replace it due to the age of it. Very satisfied with these tires. Also Honda does not recommend ANY cruiser tire be used on a Goldwing, I was told by Dunlop that cruiser tires are not stiff enough sidewalls for the heavier bikes. Also, to change the subject, what, besides a blown head gasket would make my wing smoke blue? It has done it ever since I had it and has never used a drop of water so I can't hardly believe it is a head gasket. Also it only does it sometimes. Carbs are running rich, I can tell by exhaust, But really overall it runs like a charm. I had an 84 that did that from the day I bought it and I bought it brand new. Any suggestions????

My guess would also be valve guides, but constantly smoking blue may be more, watch oil consumption. Possibly using heavier oil might help, recommended viscosity for various air temp. is found in the GoldWing Owners Manual Page 45 (1985 Honda 1200LE). Recommended viscosity is SAE 10W-40, but it can be as high as SAE 20w-50, in moderate to severely high ambient air temp. Always allow time for warm up, 1-2 min. especially using thicker oil. mrgeo :headscratch: :laptop:

As others have stated, valve guides may be the culprit. Does it smoke out of both, left and right sides? I've heard that they will smoke a little at startup from the left side if left on the side stand (even though mine do not).

It depends on how much it smoking.

The engine may be gummed up the oil rings could be stuck and letting oil by them.

If so a engine flush is a good thing to do, I do it to all my Old wings, when i first get them, and it is surprising how much varnish and crap comes out of a 30 year old bike.

They usually rev a little better after.

Substituting 1/5 of the oil fill with ATF every other oil change will add a lot of cleaning power to the oil and clear out a lot of the old crud.

Yes Slabghost,

That is what i use on all my bikes.

ATF is a super cleaner/lubricant, I usually use the synthetic ATF, but it doesn't really matter unless you are using a little more during the cleaning process.

I try to keep the RPM of the engine at No more than 3K rpm's, I dont want to have any problems.

My 83' GL1100 was Verrrry Dirty inside.

Since it was a frozen motor, I could not do a Engine flush before i started taking it apart, as it needed everything, starter needed a rebuild, including Carbs were also in a Very dirty condition. Tops of the pistons had a lot of schnitz on them.

When i started the engine, it smoked because of the penetrating oil I put on the pistons to get them un-frozen.

That smoking machine, smoked for about 30-60 minutes, that may have been the rings trying to break free and re-seat.

Then it all of a sudden stopped, and i have not had any smoke other than when I put the choke on at a cold start, but that is fuel.

It was the Ultimate POS bike, brought back from the dead, kind of a Zombie Bike.

When i pulled the Heads and tore them down there was a lot of carbon on the valves and seats, I dont think the valve's were sealing very good, i could not seal them by hand, went back with new valve seals, and did a clean up of the ports, and wire brushed the valves & lapped the valve's & seat's.

the load raiting on dunlop 491's is not high enough for a fully loaded wing. was / is the oil over filled and hasthe crankcase breather been drained? i know everybody on the forum forgot to drain their crankcase breather, me too

Does it only do blue smoke when you first start it cold then doesnt do it again until the next cold start? And do you use the sidestand and then notice blue smoke on a cold start but then it doesnt do it again?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101518#p101518:21n72fbh said:
Happytrails » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:56 pm[/url]":21n72fbh]
Does it only do blue smoke when you first start it cold then doesnt do it again until the next cold start? And do you use the sidestand and then notice blue smoke on a cold start but then it doesnt do it again?
We may never know my friend, this thread is 1.5 years old and the member hasn't been on since 8-23-2013.

~O~

hmmmmmmmm......... I just noticed the mention of the crankcase breather :thanks: ....mine is starting to smoke badly on start-up (right side only) and I have never even touched the breather... :rtfm:

I guess I better look at it? (Cheaper/less involved than replacing valve guides)

Be well