Brake line fittings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toremitchell

Reaction score
I bought some stainless steel brake lines from a guy up in Toronto, Canada. I am very pleased with the overall product quality and value. The full set of 3 hoses cost $83 including shipping. He also includes 4 banjo fitting bolts and 8 copper washers in teh standard package. I just wish I could install these hoses on my bike. Here's what I found:

Apparently this seller has sold many brake line sets for '83 Goldwings, and so far the steel flare fittings have all been the same M10x1.25 thread (for the male compression fittings on the bike's steel lines that join up to the female fittings on the two hoses in the linked brake system). That is not what I have on my bike, however, and when attempting to install the new hoses the threads bind up after about 1/4 turn of my compression fitting. I took both the old and new hoses over to my local Advance Auto to check the female thread sizes and found that my bike has M10x1.0 thread, and his new hose was M10x1.25 (as he said it would be). He is very surprised that my bike would have a different (finer) thread pitch than all the other Goldwings that he has dealt with.

Can anyone shed more light on this subject? Does anyone know how extensively the fine thread M10x1.0 fittings were used on these bikes? The fitting at the rear master master cylinder also appears to have M10x1.0 thread. I am confident that my SS hose supplier will rectify the situation one way or another for me (will keep you posted). I am just trying to provide him with a little more information if possible (and satisfy my own increasing curiosity about my bike).

Thanks!

I did email H-E-L USA a couple days ago, and they sent this helpful reply:

"Hello Tore, Yes I have specs for the 83 GL1100A. See attachment. My specs do show 1.00 thread, but I have come across some that are 1.25. It is good that you know your thread. Since we are a manufacture, we can do either thread for you. A 2-line front/1-line rear kit is $147.00 that comes with all the stainless steel banjo bolts and copper crush washers you need. Shipping in the U.S. Is a flat $5.95 and that is Priority Mail. Any other questions please let me know."

This reply almost makes it sound like the 1.00 thread size is more common! :headscratch: I forwarded this email to my supplier. Obviously, I would prefer to stick with my supplier and get set up for $83 instead of $153 from H-E-L.

One other thing I think I failed to mention . . . All my brake lines are dated 12/82 and look absolutely original in appearance. I don't think anyone ever switched the fittings. Plus, as I mentioned in my first post, my master cylinder is threaded identically.

The banjo bolts are not the problem. He sends new ones anyway, so I plan to use the new ones. The problem is at the other end of the hoses where they join up to the fittings on the rigid steel lines.

Only the front hand brake system has banjo fittings on both ends of the flexible line. The linked system has a rigid line coming off of the master cylinder which tee's into another two rigid steel lines. At the end of those steel lines there are the threaded fittings where I am having the thread mismatch trouble.

I got my brake system together with a second set of SS brake lines that Raymond at rennsportautoparts.com finally sent me. He is still in disbelief that my bike originally came with M10x1.0 threads on the rigid line flare fittings where the flexible brake lines connect, but I am convinced that it was all original Honda parts on my bike when it came in the door. Raymond insulted my intelligence some along the way telling me that Honda would never do such a thing, but my patience paid off in the end and he finally came through for me. His lines work great for about half the price of the H-E-L brand. For anybody changing your flex lines I recommend that you check the thread on rigid brake lines BEFORE you place your order.

I had the EXCACT same issue when I went to SS lines on my 83.
The lines I received where perfect in everyway except the thread pitch.10x1.25 rather than 10x1.0.

I then contacted the place I got them from and they remade the problemed hose,promtly sent it out and said they would make a note of the uniqueness of the 83.

I do not remember the maker,but I posted the problem here then(pre site crash)

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tory. I knew that I wasn't the first person who had faced this issue, nor will I be the last.