Britches and Boots

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
I could use a few opinions.

I’m all about safety and function over form. That being said, when I took the MSF class, I bought a cheap pair of genuine fake leather boots (Target specials) that held up well for the class and one week of commuting before the sole started letting loose. It’s Gorilla Glued back on, but that will only last so long; time for a replacement. I need them to function well on the bike, be comfortable and durable enough to walk around in all day and not look stupid. See? Form was the last thing on the list. I’m thinking about any good work boot would work, but upon looking at entries from Redwing and Wolverine, some of the riding specific boots seem a little bit more affordable. So, I’m throwing that out to all of you.

Jacket isn’t an issue, I’m wearing a textile. My next concern will be pants. I want something easy on and easy off and I’m thinking more along the lines of safety over warmth. So far, my legs haven’t really gotten cold, but I haven’t faced really cold weather yet. I think the coldest was in the mid forties, so far. What works better, over pants, or chaps? Is wearing chaps with a textile jacket a fashion faux pas? I’m also thinking armored textile would be more durable in the event of an accident, but I don’t know for sure, either.

Finally, what have your experience with these guys? Their prices seem really good and they have a good variety of stuff. FWIW, I was looking at some boots in there…. These, as a matter of fact.
Thanks!

Mark

I just wear a pair of Rocky work boots right now, but would rather have a good pair of pull on boots (Gor-Tex of course) have a pair of chaps also, have never did any long rides with them just back and forth to work when it gets below 50* and it's only 10 miles 1 way. If I can keep the wind from going up my coat sleeves/pantlegs/down my neck I'm pretty good :moped: :moped: :ahem: :ahem:

I got a pair of...er...uhmmmm...Harly boots. The zipper on the right one busted after about a month, but I fixed it. I wear 1st Gear leather(jacket & chaps). As long as it's about 50 or so, I'm good to go. :mrgreen:

Chaps for cold weather. I wear leather jackets. I wear steel toe workboots I bought at Wally World for I think $30 or close. Been wearing them almost three years and they still are one piece.

most of my gear is tourmaster that i got here https://www.motorcyclegear.com/
i have some quest pants but the legnth is too short for sitting on a bike so i ordered some tourmaster textile pants in a tall legnth so they don't ride up over the top of my boots. my boots are tourmaster responce sc boots not the new ugly ones the old style but they are short but my next pair will be the these .. https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/bo ... boots.html. the over pants work better than chaps ( imho ) because in wet / cold weather your crotch and bum stay dry and warm
https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/cl ... pants.html .. these are what i wear for the summer with a pair of shorts underneeth and they do a decent job of keeping me dry in the rain

AApple":1nwrat9j said:
I got a pair of...er...uhmmmm...Harly boots. The zipper on the right one busted after about a month, but I fixed it. :mrgreen:
Soooooo, it doesn't matter whether it is the machinery or the accessories, if it says Harley you have to fix it to keep it going??? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

mcgov[background= said:
[background=][background=][/background][/background][/background]ern61"]
AApple":2vwe4axv said:
I got a pair of...er...uhmmmm...Harly boots. The zipper on the right one busted after about a month, but I fixed it. :mrgreen:
Soooooo, it doesn't matter whether it is the machinery or the accessories, if it says Harley you have to fix it to keep it going??? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Now that is TRUE AND FUNNY :clapping:

mcgovern61":1k059d01 said:
AApple":1k059d01 said:
should have trailered those harley boots, what were you thinking :)

detdrbuzzard":1io8iz5j said:
mcgovern61":1io8iz5j said:
AApple":1io8iz5j said:
should have trailered those harley boots, what were you thinking :)

ROFL!

~O~

I wear gaerne boots when traveling or rain,but have an old pair og H-D boots to take the un neccesary wear of short junts.
I use First Gear jackets and over pants.Mesh for warm days.

Not as big of fan of leather as I used to be,heavy hot and not worth a crap in the rain.Really like the armored textiles.

Since I wussed out on riding yesterday due to threat of rain, I decided to scope out pants and such at Chaparral. I found some decent waterproof overpants (Tourmaster) for about $80. I didn’t buy them, yet, because I’m still thinking.

I rode in today and it was 40 degrees when I left the house. My legs really weren’t cold. I’m thinking a cheap rain suit might be my best bet for rainy days and chaps for days that are just chilly. Still working that all though my mind. If you can’t already tell, I suffer from analysis paralysis. :roll:

Right now, I’m leaning toward placing an order with Leatherup after the first of the month; boots, chaps and rainsuit. I should then be pretty well covered for any riding conditions.

That is, unless I change my mind. Again. :head bang:

Mark

were you looking at the quest overpants? i have a pair of those too but they ride up almost over the top of my tourmaster response sc boots. i ordered a pair of tourmaster textile pants in a tall size and they are about 2 inches longer but cost about $35 more

detdrbuzzard":y03w4msm said:
were you looking at the quest overpants? i have a pair of those too but they ride up almost over the top of my tourmaster response sc boots. i ordered a pair of tourmaster textile pants in a tall size and they are about 2 inches longer but cost about $35 more

Yes, those are the ones. Not good, huh?

Mark

MarkB":rf6zwsxj said:
detdrbuzzard":rf6zwsxj said:

Yes, those are the ones. Not good, huh?

Mark
they are good pants ( too me ) but the responce sc boots are short and when i sit on the bike the cuff of the pants is at the top of the boots

I'll throw my hat into the ring....I use Frogg Toggs for outer wear...they are extremely light weight, water proof, have a built in reflective material that my wife says is easily seen at night on the highway (in headlights....she was driving behind me) and work like a shadow to keep you cool on the hottest days! Mine are two years old and I could not be happier. Now, they ARE NOT body armour of any type and WILL NOT protect you much if you go down.

As far as boots........I confess, I wear sneaks or Docksider shoes mostly and only wear water proof hiker type boots when I know it is going to rain. (Guess I'm not much of a real biker! :hihihi: )

Attachments

• Frogg Toggs.jpg
    Frogg Toggs.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 97