Buying an 83 1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
HI All, I am a few days away from owning my first Gold Wing, I was wondering what may be some of the particular "quirks" there may be associated with a 1983 Interstate 1100.
I may remove the factory fairing and replace it with a lighter plexi-type screen, any advice in this direction would be appreciated.
Thanks, Phil C.
Portland, Oregon :music3:

philc":23k5f6qv said:
HI All, I am a few days away from owning my first Gold Wing, I was wondering what may be some of the particular "quirks" there may be associated with a 1983 Interstate 1100.
I may remove the factory fairing and replace it with a lighter plexi-type screen, any advice in this direction would be appreciated.
Thanks, Phil C.
Portland, Oregon :music3:
Phil, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

To get answers faster, copy your original post and start a new thread!

The 83's are perfect so you should not have any problems. :music:

Seriously though, if you have a volt meter, you could check the voltage at the battery and make sure that it is putting out around 14-14.5 volts at 3500 rpm. You should also check the starter clutch. Does it engage when you hit the starter button or does it spin freely? If it does, you can probably fix it with a sea foam or MMO treatment before the next oil change?
Check the condition of the frame where the center stand connects. Those can rust out.
Everything else is just the standard stuff about look at old bikes.
How is the suspension? Is it sagging? Does it have any rebound damping left? Are the seals good?
Does it have a lot of wear on the brake rotors?
Anything that looks like it will need replacing soon?

Greetings and welcome! you found the right place for info on your 'Wing choice. Carbs can be an issue if it has sat for awhile..personally I prefer the factory faring,, having ridden with plexi ones on other machines, pretty much all issues and questions can be answered and resolved here!

philc If I remember right you have a member close to you (at least in the Portland area). The last I heard from him he was going down the coast to San-Francisco...expection pics and a report soon. Can't find the post here but I think it is GiantDon49...If I am wrong then there are atleast 2 others in Portland area. You may be able to hook up and get some personal help :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :whistling:

Thanks for all the info, as it turned out, the bike is an 82 rather than 83.
Ive owned it since last Sept and flushed all the fluids the first week I owned it prior to running it down to Yosemite and back. The bike was happy to cruise along the freeway and I had no issues except mpg.
As Fall of 2011 wore on the bike got harder and harder to start and warm up, lots of smoke etc.
So I decided to pull the carbs out and take a look and found that they needed attention badly.
At this point I figured the Wing was going to be down all winter so I crazily went out and bought a new KLR 650, my second KLR and I love it, got to ride in snow more than once this winter, sadistic fun.
Im still cleaning inside and out of the carbs 3 months later! granted I dont work on it but once a week, there are a lot of parts in that carb rack and I dont want to rush it.

While waiting for carb parts, and more DAYLIGHT! to work by, I decided to pull the forks and repack the head bearings as well as install Galfer steel braided lines, lots of time in a dark, damp garage but I think I rounded a corner last weekend and getting eager to start it up in a couple more weeks, re installing the carbs could take some time.