Bye-bye sidecar

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son became old enough to ride behind me so I disconnected the sidecar. We went camping two-up for the first time. Man, what a difference! I was able to criuse comfortably on the freeway.

The sidecar can be re-attached in 5 minutes but don't know if I need it.
image.php

Made this so my son won't fall off even if he sleeps.
image.php

Poor man's motorcycle heater! (I think it works somewhat.)
image.php

A mountain of luggage. The problem is my son cannot see straight ahead and got motion sick on twisties.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Oh, installed new stereo too.
image.php

:smilie_happy: I had to look hard to see him, too! He musta been takin a nap right then.
So...other than gettin sickly on the twisties, how did he like ridin behind ya?

He likes it! We will go on a week long touring this year. That's my resolution.
Maybe I will carry modified backpack on my back so he can watch DVDs and possibly a periscope so he can see straight ahead. I am not sure if that makes him even more sick. :headscratch:

Holy crap,Did it pull a good wheely :moped:
It might be time for a trailor.

I agree with you,there it is a great feeling to dump the hack,and mine has been off for over a year while the wife recovers.But I have aquired enough other bikes to still get my two wheel fix when I have to put it back on.

Definately the trailer will add much less drag than the sidecar. But it limits legal freeway speed to 55MPH around here. Then I need to risk either a speeding ticket or being run over by soccer mom's SUV. :fiddle:

For long touring though, maybe my son still needs the comfort in the sidecar...

It's a bit of conundrum. GL is a tourer and the sidecar gives more comfort to my son during long trips but I need to use lots of freeways to go somewhere far away. It's okay if it's level and no wind. But a head wind or uphill is a struggle.

My son wants to go to Salton Sea again. We will go two-up this time and take the same route and see how it goes. The last time with the sidecar, it was absolutely horrible to me but I guess my son was okay in the sidecar.

well if its a done deal ....id love to have that rig ...as i have a grandson who needs a seat for a ride ....he just turned two .....i love the rig you made skirri and dont see much to improve on it ....realy nothing at all .....my 82 diet 1200 rig would probably handle it well in the power requirements .....skirri your rig is one of the top things i admire in the wingnut zone of accomplishments .....

Thanks Joe.
Sidecars are really good for small kids. My son has been riding with me since he was three.

Maybe I will try streamlining mine. Lower and more tilted wind shield with lie-down seating position like Indycars. :hihihi:

I took my Motorvation Formula ll off a couple weeks ago. People sure look twice at a hack going down the road don't they? I took the windshield off first and the mileage increased dramatically. I will put a Tonnaeu cover on this spring and leave the windshield off. I can't believe the weather we are having up here. northern California. Riding in the mountains where I live (4000 ft elevation) is unheard of at this time of year.
It must be great to be able to tote you son around.
Ride Safe!

Yes, the MPG is a good indicator for the drag of the sidecar, isn't it?

I had alomost vertical windshield first and got 26 on freeway.
Then I tilted it and also added wind deflector for the bottom "cargo box" and got 30.
Without the sidecar, I got 41.

So hopefully with shorter wind shield and no cargo box, I will get 35 and more comfortable cruising.

BTW, I like your avatar!