Camera mounts...anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
This is the camera that I mount to the engine guard. Sony DCR-TRV520, digital 8. It was pretty cool about 12 years ago, but a little bulky for what I'm trying to do now.

This is the mount that it rides on. It's a double ball clamp with a u-bolt on one end, and a 1/4 x20 that fits most cameras on the other end, from RAM Mounts, and it holds this camera pretty solid.

This is a GoPro Wide sport camera with one of several sticky mounts that it comes with. It has a 170 degree field of view (just point in the general direction to catch EVERYTHING), and uses 2 AAA batteries (rechargables preferred). It will record just about an hour on a set of batteries and this one accepts a 2gig SD card, which is good for an hour per gig. There is now a High Def version that has it's own battery that lasts longer and will accept a much higher gig card in the $300ish range. The standard def that I have is very basic as far as cameras go, but it's still kinda cool and lives in a waterproof housing.

This is the suction cup mount that it comes with. I was doubtful at first, but I have had this thing on my helmet like this in 65-70 mph wind for the best part of an hour and it was still stuck to my helmet when I got home. This cup sticks hard and works very, very well. I was impressed!

The 3" cup fits perfectly on the face of the tachometer.

I was so impressed with the GoPro suction cup mount, that I went ahead and ordered a suction cup from RAM for the other camera, thinking it would give me more options/freedom to mount the camera in different places. But I'm not so sure about this one. Maybe the camera is just too heavy(?) But the u-bolt mount worked so well! I haven't actually taken it out and tried it yet. It seems to stick ok, but I don't know for how long. I plan on recording a trip this weekend, so if life works out that way, I'll let you know how it does.

I am interested in seeing photos and videos of where other people ride. When you get the chance to ride, where do you go? What's it like? What cameras or mounts work for you? Inquiring minds want to know! :music2:

Those mounts are nice!
Here's my custom home job,

I cut the top swivel off a $10 Walmart tripod, drilled a hole in the center for a 1/4x20 bolt to a conduit clamp. It works pretty good although it jumps a bit on bumps. Your's is much smoother.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY2d32A1gtU[/video]

dan filipi":2tt6ksaz said:
It works pretty good although it jumps a bit on bumps. Your's is much smoother.

The RAM Mount double ball clamp is rock solid with the u-bolt set up. But I think the RAM suction cup may be a lttle on the flimsy side, especially for the weight of the Sony HandiCam. I was able to buy just the suction cup with a ball separately, so I can take the clamp off the u-bolt ball and attatch it to the suction cup ball.

The bumps are my worst enemy. I find it has a lot to do with "where" the camera is mounted. I tried the GoPro suction cup stuck to my windshield at first. But I guess the fairing and windshield are too shakey, and the video came out terrible. But mounted to my helmet, it turned out alot better, due to the fact that I absorb the bumps. It also worked out pretty good when stuck on the tach face. I didn't expect it to do so well stuck to the trunk, but it wasn't too bad. I think the fairing and windshield just flex around too much. Mine is Vetter, Honda stuff may be different, I don't know. I'm worried about mounting on the fake tank. I think the little door may bounce around on the bumps.

I'd think the handlebars would be pretty steady. Do you think it's your tripod mount that's jumping around? And as mentioned in an earlier thread, a camera with image stablization must be a big help.

I went the build you own mount option, I paid the extra $2.50 or so to have it fedex 2nd day and the site said to allow 72 hours to be shipped out of their warehouse so im hoping to have it saturday if not monday :clapping: :clapping:

I found some for alot cheaper on ebay but they didnt look that strong and also they didnt look like they would absorb vibration like the rubber balls would with these mounts from Ram... They better for $48 with shipping, $12 of that was for FedEx

The ball mount with the u-bolt holds this camera pretty solid to the engine guard. I haven't tried it anywhere else.

But the weight of this camera is just too heavy for it, and it wobbles around too much.

img0005gt.jpg

I guess the smaller and lighter the camera the better? Unless you're willing to spend the big bucks on mounting systems.

I highly recomend a UV filter for the lens of any camera you plan to mount to your bike. A cheap one will do just fine and for a few dollars it's cheap protection for your lens.

Can't wait to see where you ride! :yahoo:

scdmarx":pjd7qk5m said:
I highly recomend a UV filter for the lens of any camera you plan to mount to your bike. A cheap one will do just fine and for a few dollars it's cheap protection for your lens.

I didnt think about that... Thanks for the heads up, I dont think my digital camera is any heavier then your older camcorder
This is what i have, Canon Powershot SX20 - 12.1 megapixal, 20X optical zoom, Records HD video (720p) at 1280 x 720 at 30 fps. Maximum recording time is 30 minutes for HD, 1 hour for the smaller resolution settings
Lighter then i thought, Its only 1.24lbs Sure feels heavier

Attachments

• canon sx20.jpg
    canon sx20.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 161
BigAndrew":ei7stwsb said:
This is what i have, Canon Powershot SX20 - 12.1 megapixal, 20X optical zoom, Records HD video (720p) at 1280 x 720 at 30 fps. Maximum recording time is 30 minutes for HD, 1 hour for the smaller resolution settings

So, B.A. ...when do we get to see some rides? :party:

scdmarx":2681y1x1 said:
So, B.A. ...when do we get to see some rides?

As soon as i quit being lazy and decide to go out and attach it to the bike :smilie_happy:
I dont know of any really good curvy roads, So for now i was just thinking of going through the nahborhood just for a test video

I deed it! I deed it! I made a video... Its just a short stroll through the neighborhood, Its pretty bumpy... Half the reason im sure is because i dont have any air in the front forks, I think im going to try to put some padding inbetween the camera and the mounting plate to see if that helps

dan filipi":frit1xcr said:
Hey, it's not rock steady but it looks pretty dern good!

Nice neighborhood you live in. Looks like everybody has green grass!

Thanks :mrgreen: I'll be able to get it more steady, Youtube automatically lowers the quality to make the video load quicker, If you want to see it in HD just click 720p just below the video, I mean right below the video on the righthand side, It should be automatically set on 360p

Fair warning, If you set it on 720p it will take awhile to load but once it does just set it to full screen and you'll see how good the video quality is that my digital camera takes :yahoo:

:rtfm: Also usually the video plays faster on HD then it loads so if it keeps pausing to load, Just pause the video and go do something for a few minutes and then come back to watch the video :mrgreen:

COOL!!!

For the shakey stuff you can also try mounting the camera in different locations. And much of it might be eliminated once you get out on the open road. You just gotta try different stuff and see what you find out. The main thing is to have fun with it. :yes:

Sure is a good sharp picture. :music:

BIG A your bike sounds good....that last shot of your front tire looks good .....nice video....i like your bike a lot....thats diffinutly a orlando 1950-60 neiborhood

ive probably been there :mrgreen: