Camshaft Differences

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MSGT-R":phokoo5y said:
Apples, to apples.. .040" lift at the valve, to match Mega's measurements.
Are you saying that after gap and lash are considered all the cams have .040 lift? Or the 75-77 cams only? One of these days I need to get a dial indicator.

My guess that, when Mega took the measurement at the valve, the rocker ratio magnified the amount of travel to skew numbers..

With just the two types of cams from e-bay I have on my bench, the lobe sizes do vary a lot. I'm also guessing that Honda monkied with the rocker ratios over the years too. Even with the 1200 and it's hydraulics, it too still has rockers.

I wish I had access to one complete set up of each so I can get a complete picture.

Taken from Popular Hotrodder:

An increase in rocker-arm ratio nets more than additional lift. It will also change the cam's duration characteristics. Because the increased ratio effectively speeds up valve movement, that means the valve will reach any opening height sooner than it would with a lower ratio rocker arm. Higher ratios open the valves quicker and close the valves a little later. Since the increase is symmetrical on either side of the cam lobe, centerline a higher ratio will lengthen the overall valve timing making your cam act bigger. The higher ratio causes valve timing to increase proportionally as the valve opens further

MSGT-R":3k2wdds3 said:
Taken from Popular Hotrodder:

An increase in rocker-arm ratio nets more than additional lift. It will also change the cam's duration characteristics. Because the increased ratio effectively speeds up valve movement, that means the valve will reach any opening height sooner than it would with a lower ratio rocker arm. Higher ratios open the valves quicker and close the valves a little later. Since the increase is symmetrical on either side of the cam lobe, centerline a higher ratio will lengthen the overall valve timing making your cam act bigger. The higher ratio causes valve timing to increase proportionally as the valve opens further
Makes sense to me. I think I read somewhere that the same rocker was used in all the 1000 and 1100 motors but I might be mistaken. I never checked the part numbers.

Well, cruising through Honda Direct Line Parts site netted me the following:

The parts are dropping off the fische like flies at the end of summer.

14611- is always "Rocker-A", and 14621- is always "Rocker-B" (14611-463-000, 14621-463-000).

The parts have a supersession, but it seems to be uniform for the 1000/1100;
-463 replaces -371.

The middle numbers change to -MG9- for the 1200 in '84 (14611-MG9-000, 14621-MG9-000).
:laptop:

Sure like to see this thread completed. ..... and put into basic terms of what happens with possible mix and match, particularly whether 1100 heads with 1000 cams will yield more overlap and lift, than 1000 cams in 1100 heads.

i cant see how it would eric ..from my experience there the same ...the heads in regard to that ?....there been enough done here or i should say by me...tells me that only in 1200s can this be on the table..there seemed to be huge flow increase on the build ..and the low the cam acts so differently in 1200s than in 1000s or 1100s ...with the early 1000 cams in it ...lots of low end power ..even when i had stock carbs on hooch the low end power was huge ....it just got better when i went to the weber carb feed on it ......and would do the high rpm stuff where the stock wouldnt...these realities make me think something could be different here .... but i care little on this results are great ..couldnt be better :BigGrin:

Sorry, I typed something stupid there. I don't know why my fingers don't listen to my brain! I meant to type "particularly whether 1100 heads with 1000 cams will yield more overlap and lift, than 1000 cams in 1000 heads."

I know, and it's why I wonder if there's a little extra bump to be had there. I don't know many who've done that. Most swapped entire heads, even if done on an 1100. Just for kicks, I think this is what I will try on my current build. I wish there was good info out there. It appears on the surface that 1100 heads and 1000 heads are close to the same. I am wondering about the angle at which the valves are to the pistons. I remember reading somewhere that 1000's were 112 degrees and 1100's and 78-79's were 107.5 degrees. Like lots we read, who knows if it's accurate. If true, then 1000 cams in 78-79 heads might be a bit better than 75-77. And in our hybrid versions, they would be better in 1100 heads too.

hmmmmm ive never seen that info before ... but as you said me and you both know ...most of the info we work hard to find and use for our projects was wrong .....personally i feel there the same and that info is wrong.... if there is a bump to my set up ...i dont think its this .. but who knows ... a lot of first time things going on here .....

I just got finished comparing the drawings in the manuals for valve guide replacement. It looks as though they are the same angle based on the drawings. I think the numbers I am remembering are the lobe separation numbers.

Latest posts