Changing the Oil

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roady":2wjn0izq said:
Napa PS4940

Also don't know how much Napa gets for theirs.... :hi:

Mine were $3 & something with the shop discount, so they can't be more than $5-6 retail at the most. They only had 1 in stock when I needed it, so I ordered 3 more and had them delivered.

BTW, my spring and washer were missing the first time, too.

scdmarx":9bl5tmng said:
BTW, my spring and washer were missing the first time, too.

Are they still missing? I dont think the washer is too important when it comes to the flow of oil but according to Dan Without the spring it allows oil to bypass the filter

I think the washer spreads the load from the spring 'cause its pushing on the rubber area of the filter.

It sticks there and gets thrown out next oil change. :evil:

Gord

Hey Dan, I have the spring in mine but not the washer, Do you think any oil is getting past the filter without the washer?

I believe the purpose of the washer is to keep the spring from digging into the rubber seal on the end of the filter. The washer gives the spring a good, solid seat to sit on, and protects the rubber seal from the sharp end of the spring. When I found mine was missing both, I found a spring that was close in diameter and height, and a thin-ish flat washer that fit around the filter bolt...both of these items I had around the garage. Dan posted once before the measurements of the spring, and I dug into the massive collection of left-out transmissions springs I had until I found one that was almost identical to the one Dan had. It's prolly a little stiffer than the original, but not enough to create a problem.
I've got some pics of the spring I used somewhere...if I can find them, I'll post.

Click for link

Here's a couple of pics of the spring options I had...I've got more pics with measurements somewhere... :laptop:

Here's the pics that Dan sent me of one of his original springs, which is what I used to compare what I had to...

Roady":1mrv0gv1 said:
Oil Filter for GL1000 & GL1100
Honda Part #15410-426-010, 15410-422-004
Napa PS4940
Just got a Honda 15410-426-010 and it came with new 'O' rings but no spring or washer.
The last filter I got from the same dealer was a non-genuine item and it came with a new spring and washer but no 'O' rings :lol: don't have the part number but the lable was MCS so that makes it a re-badge anyway.

And even then, only if it HAS to...I suppose... :mrgreen:
:smilie_happy:

AlaskaWing":llt1kvqj said:
Ok, call me stupid if you must, but...what kind of oil???

That's one of "those" questions, the kind that gets a different answer from every member. :smilie_happy:

My girl is very high mileage so I run 20/50 car oil(usually Valvoline). "Motorcycle' oil in this bike just doesn't last very long.

~O~

IIRC, the factory specs are for 10/40, but you have to take into account the age of the machine, the environment, the riding style, and I'm sure I'm missing a few factors. If you're comfortable with 10/40, then I'd recommend that be what you run.

BigAndrew":2oanhh1k said:
:clapping: Nice work... Now if only there was an easy step by step tutorial like that for rebuilding the carbs :grin:

Not sure if this site minds if other sites are used as links, but I found a great tutorial on rebuilding my carbs. Here is the link ..........................................

The site wouldn't let me post the link until I post 5 times. So I am going to look around on here and see where any of my experience may be helpful. After I post five times, I will put the link on this thread. It is an awesome total rebuild of the carb.

Latest posts