Charging System

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89-300ce

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some feedback on my understanding of the charging/electrical system of the 1100.

When I bought my bike I was concerned about the stator as it seems to be the weak link in a most durable bike.

Some thoughts.

Our bikes have permanent magnet generator systems. This systems output is directly related to rpm. Any excess output gets shunted to ground by the regulator.

The 1200's stators are more failure prone because in order to achieve more output from the system the engineers used a stronger magnet in the same stator. More current = more heat in the windings and a greater potential for failure.

The mosfet regulators are recommended as an upgrade to bikes with weak regulators. They are a more efficient regulator but they still shunt excess current, but in this case not to ground but out of phase back into the windings, perhaps not a good idea on a weak stator.

https://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technic ... heory.html

Current in the stator produces heat which is the source of failure. The maximum current possible increases with RPM. The higher the resistance/voltage at the output of the stator the less current will flow for any given rpm. The two extremes are

- with an open circuit or no draw at the stator wires all power generated will be voltage, no current will flow, no heat is generated, and the stator will never burn out.
- with a short circuit or massive draw at the stator wires all the power generated will be current, measured voltage at the stator will be near zero, excessive heat is generated and the stator wires will fry in short order.

We want to keep our voltage as high as possible to keep the current in the stator down. The limitation on this is that when our voltage reaches a certain level (~14.5v) the regulator shunts excess voltage to ground in order to protect the battery and circuits. It's a balancing act. If we use up too much current with accessories our system voltage is low and the stator puts out lots of current which is hard on the stator. If we use up too little current our system voltage goes to max (~14.5v) our stator puts out less current but our regulator can get too hot and fail as it has to continuously shunt excess current to ground.

A sensible solution is to adjust the load (accessory draw) of our bikes to maintain the maximum allowable voltage before the regulator has to get involved to bleed of current.

I've upgraded all my brake, turn, dash, and running lights to led's. I've installed a monitor to keep me informed of the voltage in the system. I've found with my headlight on I'm usually between 13.5 and 14.5 volts. I'm probably shunting to ground at higher rpm so at continuous speed on the highway I also run my two 35w driving lights to take the strain off the regulator and I still maintain 13.5-14.5 volts.

The ultimate solution would be to upgrade to a series regulator which momentarily opens the stator circuits as required to reduce power output as opposed to shunting to ground. An open circuit can’t have current and as a result won’t generate heat. That's probably as close to an automotive altenator system as we can get without useing and automotive altenator :)

Jorg

So if the info in that link is correct and the stator load is actually increased (to produce the higher voltage at a lower rpm), a mosfet "upgrade" is in reality making the stator work harder.
Interesting.

My understanding is limited, I wish I knew more.

What I'm uncertain about is if a mosfet does actually make the stator work harder, harder than the OEM R/R. It would seem so by the poster who said he read 20 amps on the OEM but 22 on the mosfet.

It would appear the mosfet is a better solution to me only because it's a newer R/R design but maybe not, newer is not always better.

I think the mosfet regulators are an excellent solution for bikes with stout stators but weak regulators. I'm certain they aren't series regulators and therefore must still shunt, and if there is no heat in the regulator where does it shunt too? I think the ultimate solution is a series regulator,

https://www.posplayr.100megsfree3.com/FH ... H012AA.pdf

but I also think that for the 1100's this would be overkill.

Jorg

So if I'm understanding correctly the series reg is the best all around use for an 1100 stator both for output and longeveity?
Makes sense if this reg loads the stator current only as needed but if so would it produce the increased lower rpm output like the mosfet shunt does?

dan filipi":lihvrw55 said:
would it produce the increased lower rpm output like the mosfet shunt does?

To be honest I don't know. I was looking at it more from a "what's best for the stator" standpoint. I'm already putting out over 13.5v at idle with the leds and I'm running both upper and lower light bars (converted to leds). I don't think I would get any benefit from the efficiency gains of a mosfet regulator and, as long as I'm always running at high voltage I don't think the 1100 stator/magnet will produce enough current to hurt itself, so I shouldn't need a series regulator either. I'm actually more concerned about frying the regulator at steady speed on the highway due to excessive shunting/heat, so that's where I turn on my running lights while making sure that I'm still over 13.5v.

I'd only go to a series regulator if my OEM regulator failed.

Jorg

89-300ce":abtluu46 said:
dan filipi":abtluu46 said:
would it produce the increased lower rpm output like the mosfet shunt does?

To be honest I don't know. I was looking at it more from a "what's best for the stator" standpoint. I'm already putting out over 13.5v at idle with the leds and I'm running both upper and lower light bars (converted to leds). I don't think I would get any benefit from the efficiency gains of a mosfet regulator and, as long as I'm always running at high voltage I don't think the 1100 stator/magnet will produce enough current to hurt itself, so I shouldn't need a series regulator either. I'm actually more concerned about frying the regulator at steady speed on the highway due to excessive shunting/heat, so that's where I turn on my running lights while making sure that I'm still over 13.5v.

I'd only go to a series regulator if my OEM regulator failed.

Jorg
Jorg, my output drops to 14.2 volts and stays there after the bike is hot running down the highway at 70 MPH. I assume the load from the higher RPM keeps it in check. I do not have any other lights, just a good stereo.

mcgovern61Jorg said:
Actually your load remains pretty constant and your charging system output increases at higher RPM. Your regulator is keeping the voltage in check by dumping any excess current to ground like it was designed to.

It sounds like your regulator is working like it's supposed to and 14.2v suggests your charging system is easily meeting demand so your stator isn't putting out more than it was designed for. The OEM regulator should be able to safely shunt any excess current on a stock bike. If you are mostly above ~13.8v around town then your good. If not then try to replace a few of your bulbs with led's, but it's a balancing act. Reducing the load is better for your stator but harder on your regulator at higher rpm.

When I bought my bike the previous owner had installed additional stop lights, two light bars, two 55w driving lights, two DRL's, additional front clearance lights, and a stereo. He kept jumper cables with him, regularly fried batteries, and complained of poor running. He was essentialy charging the battery every night with a battery tender and then draining it down when he rode it, and he still didn't kill the stator. A 1200 in the same situation would have probably kept up the voltage at the cost of eventually frying the stator.

Jorg

I realize this is an older thread, but I find myself (once again) looking for opinions/advice...

I recently purchased an L.E.D. voltmeter that goes into the 12V cigarette type plug. I have that particular plug always 'hot' so I can see what's going on even when the bike is off. Typically, I plug it in before starting and it reads between 11.9 and 13 volts. I crank the engine, it drops to about 10V during crank, then jumps right back up to 13-14 volts once the engine kicks in. Sitting at idle, it reads between 12.8 and 14.2, depending on my current RPMs. While driving (in town), it holds pretty steady between 12.7 and 14.2 while a highway ride stays right at 15.2 to 15.4 (I've never seen it go any higher).

Do these numbers seem right? I know little about the reading's meaning...I should also mention (1) that I have indeed clipped the three-yellow-wire connector and soldered the wires; (2) this 12V plug is running off of a 2nd fuse box that I just installed over this past winter, so the connections are fresh and clean; (3) I usually run my 35W halogens all the time; (4) I have not replaced any of my stock bulbs for turn signals or brake lights, but have added a few L.E.D.s to work with my turn signals and brake lights....none of which seem to have any adverse effect on the voltage being displayed.

Comments, please..... (and thank you).

Latest posts