Choke adjustment possible?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89-300ce

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 83 Interstate is it possible to adjust the relationship between the chokes engine speed setting and the mixture? I'd like to set it to idle at 2000-2500 rpm when cold but right now I can't. It seems to jump to 3000-4000 on full choke and wants to stall when I try to pull a little choke out. It seems too lean at part choke and I am wondering if I can alter the relationship between the high idle (throttle plates?) and choke plates? The carbs are sync'd and the idle mixture is adjusted as per the manual. I don't want to fatten the idle mixture and would like to adjust the choke plates to close more at part choke (relative to throttle plates).

Thanks

Jorg

I've no idea if it can be done. I never tried or heard of anyone else trying. I just keep opening the choke until it runs without.

If there's a trick, I'd like to learn it too. I'm not real comfy about starting my cold bike and immediately have the engine racing @ 4-5k rpm with half the neighborhood look'n at me like "WTF?"

My girl runs sweet warm but I have to choke her every morning whether it's 40F or 90F. I too like it to idle at 2K-2.5K so I do the choke "in and out slide" until it'll idle around 2K.

~O~

dan filipi":38zzi4aq said:
I do the choke pretty much the same as slabghost.

How well does it run warm, could be dirty jets.

It runs great when warm. Are there fuel ports/passages other than the idle port that might be activated when there is a vacuum drawn at the choke plates?

Jorg

scdmarx":2ti939rc said:
If there's a trick, I'd like to learn it too. I'm not real comfy about starting my cold bike and immediately have the engine racing @ 4-5k rpm with half the neighborhood look'n at me like "WTF?"

That's exactly how I feel. It probably doesn't hurt anything but it's just so harsh and unnecessary.

Jorg

Pull 1/2 choke and just a bit of throttle opening which is released immediately when she fires.
This is my procedure, works great and only fast idles at around 2500 rpm.

There is no adjustment on the choke other than moving the cable to control the idle. I, like everyone, run full choke when I start it and then just bump it down to control the speed until she is warm enough to run without the choke. There is no way to sync the choke and throttle plates as they are controlled completely differently. Its a little more finiky with the plates than the plunger style choke on the 84+ models. Just part of the nature of the machine, they are a little cold blooded. Part of getting em to run just right is developing that relationship with your machine, just gotta learn how to make her hot! :lust:

I rarely use my choke ( it's not really that cold in Queensland) but I use my throttle stop/ cruise lock to hold the idle up until the Rats Nest warms up a bit. Having an accelerator pump circuit and giving it a couple of squirts before/during cranking seems to work perfectly without choke :good:

I remembered reading something about adjusting the fast idle...my carbs are on the bench so i took a look. Yes, is IS possible to adjust the fast idle. If you look at the rack from the rear there's a tab on the left side of the "wheel" that the cables attach to.....you could bend it to adjust the fast idle. You would have to have the rack off the engine to do this and it would be hit-or-miss.....no way to know exactly there you would end up. Looking at mine, there's about .020 space and it idles about 3000 when it first fires up on full choke.....

Latest posts