Cluch noise what is normal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
What kind of cluch noise is normal if any. When leting out cluch lever I get a shuttering noise some times can't really explain noise. But have the same noise on my 77 gl1000. Would adjusting at cluch take noise away. I have play on cable. Maybe noise is normal??? And it is just the operator!!!!!!

Until you learn the right rpm and clutch release it can and will sound like the chain is being pulled through a bucket of bolts.

I think some guys ride these bikes and shift at low rpm and run the rpms low especially on take off.
Although they have plenty of power to run like that they do like higher rpms.
I usually have rpms up around 2500-3000 on normal takeoff from a stop, lower it will groan.
My '83 is at home shifting around 4-5k rpm.

Mine tends to growl/shudder at lower rpms when taking off, too. Seems to do it worse when it's warmed up to operating temp than when it's cold. I put it down to not being co-ordinated enough...
As long as I am using a motorcycle specific oil, tho, it does it way less.

I have the same problem when I have not revved it up enough...since I have a heavy hack I need more revs for the torque to move it anyway. I find if I just get on the throttle a bit more and let the clutch lever out slower in first gear, I don't have the juddering.....
Brian

Yes bk2valve I run a califorina hack too. More load on cluch with hack .trying to resolve all thing's this winter if I can so If I need cluch work this is the time for it!!!! checking on brakes,carbs and cluch I think I have brakes done, maybe carbs too, po didn't use hack that much I have 38,000 miles on bike so I hope cluch is ok . May need to adjust pilot screws on carbs but that will be a new post .One thing at a time!!!!! Also may need advise on fine tuneing set up on hack. Oh I run rotella t 15w 40 oil in it. Giveing it a try. Price is right.

Hi jpwinger....I would imagine your clutch will be fine. Since I swapped my engine into a different frame this last year, I put in new friction plates and springs and the old plates still had a lot of wear left in them. I put at least 20K or so miles on with the hack before this swap and the bike had 40K to who knows how many miles before I got it as a solo Standard. Of course I don't know if they ever r&r'd the clutch or not.

I never made any carb adjustments on mine. It has always run fine but I just did a carb balance to make sure it was in synch...hmmm, it runs sweeter yet! Who knew?

Any help I can be, please just ask....I love hacks and will help however I can....it is really satisfying to see someone enjoy their rig. I had no help on my old BMW R50/2 with Spirit Eagle hack and it was set up so badly I ended up just taking it off and never using it...too bad...then it took me a long time to get with it again.

Brian

I have my 1980 Interstate stored in my garage since Oct. The other day I went to move it and the clutch would not engage, then the cable broke. Could the clutch itself seize from not using. ?

Latest posts