Computers are such a pain!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windows 7 is a definite upgrade from XP with its much improved user friendly GUI, stability, security, and plug and play ease. Trouble is old hardware ain't so well supported. Slabghost is finding that out the hard way.

dan filipi":1wc20y11 said:
Windows 7 is a definite upgrade from XP with its much improved user friendly GUI, stability, security, and plug and play ease. Trouble is old hardware ain't so well supported. Slabghost is finding that out the hard way.
Yup...my computer is nearing 12 years old and it is reaching its hardware limitations with XP. :crying: Been waiting on more time for Windows 7 to work out the bugs after all of the nonsense with Vista. I'd go Mac if I didn't have so much PC required software and data. :rant:

mcgovern61":26l6q2ek said:
dan filipi":26l6q2ek said:
Yup...my computer is nearing 12 years old and it is reaching its hardware limitations with XP. :crying: Been waiting on more time for Windows 7 to work out the bugs after all of the nonsense with Vista. I'd go Mac if I didn't have so much PC required software and data. :rant:
I'm also debating whether to build from scratch again? I find that by using quality hardware, fans and chips, they last a real long time (12 years is nothing to shake a stick at!). Most people I know with store bought boxes or laptops rarely seem to make more than 5 years.

@Gerry,
My son and I just ordered a motherboard, i5 cpu, 1gb video card, 8gb RAM and a box for $315 total including shipping.
The CPU is used from ebay, the rest is from Tigerdirect.
We figure a retail computer with this lineup would be close to $1,000.

dan filipi":2fow1g1e said:
@Gerry,
My son and I just ordered a motherboard, i5 cpu, 1gb video card, 8gb RAM and a box for $315 total including shipping.
The CPU is used from ebay, the rest is from Tigerdirect.
We figure a retail computer with this lineup would be close to $1,000.
Thats what I'm talking about! :music:

detdrbuzzard":27g28h2a said:
what ever happened to the good old days when computers didn't have hard drives :)

LOL I remember them - the were Tandy's and used tapes !!

i run a coputer repair company on the side of my full time job and i see this happening alot lately , i have found data from microsoft that there is a hack virus that installs as an update and when restarted it attacks windows and corrups every file it can get into . this is not from microsoft and they have not been able to completel stop this but are working on it

dan filipi":2ihvoks4 said:

Yes I should have expected it but my old computers have served me many years. I'm still waiting on my video card.

dan filipi":361d5t7q said:
I love my Android.
Having a business I need to keep on top of customer communications quickly which puts me at least at the level of my competition, most times well beyond.
So many of my customers now would rather text or email, I'm certain I would have lost many jobs so far and not upheld as good a relation as I have without this technology.

And besides, while I'm between jobs or having lunch I can keep up on the forum posts.

I never thought I'd like it or use it as much as I do.

Me too I just love mine & it is what Bronzestarvue said is why. I only want to have ONE(1) toy on my Dash or handlebars, not 3 or 4 with the laptop in the bags. Besides mine is a 17er and a little to bulky to carry around. But as to my computer. It to is a Dell inspiron 17" running running Win7 Home premium and I love it . It is a Intell duo core with 500 gigs I also have a 2 tb external that I use for back-up. I do regular maintenance by cleaning files defraging the HD etc. I also delete un used cookies. Dan just how computer savy are u? Could you if you needed to, upgrade your Android yourself if your supplier wouldn't? :wave: :wave: :wave:

dan filipi":2plg7r4q said:
I'm sure I could upgrade mine if needed but I believe the provider pushes the updates to my Android as needed.
I wish I could & hence the post I started viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3081 . I have a Dell Streak5 that I am trying to get upgraded to 3 or 4. If I could find someone like you that I could trust, I'd be willing to send my phone to them. So long as the price is not to steep. I was on https://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=695 but reading thier post is like reading Greek. I am just so not techno inclined. :cheeky: :swoon: :swoon: :cheeky: :cheeky:

toytender01":2ykgpjko said:
I still have one of those Tandy TRS computers running basic...My million $ antique :smilie_happy:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Is that the one we used to get from Radio Shack? Had a keyboard and a box that hooked up to the TV? (We had one of them)

NO this one is the trs 80 small , first version you could call a laptop. Still have all the programs for it also. It was about 10 x 8 x4 I think. I guess I should get it out on the garage and seek my fourtune. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

mcgovern61":193l6pae said:
mcgovern61":193l6pae said:
dan filipi":193l6pae said:
I'm also debating whether to build from scratch again? I find that by using quality hardware, fans and chips, they last a real long time (12 years is nothing to shake a stick at!). Most people I know with store bought boxes or laptops rarely seem to make more than 5 years.
well......the poor 12 year old machine finally started having death throws! Video skipping, could not process changing pages on the forum, stuck windows.....I had to face it, it was time to let her rest in pieces (if you will). :crying:

Unfortunately, I am still not in a position to buy new and there were no more reasonable upgrades available for this one. However, I happened across a laptop that needed repair. Fixed it for my wife, took her box (rebuilt IBM from '08) and gave it a fresh working over! Well, I am back in business although still working with XP Pro. I have ordered another 1 GB of RAM for $13 to bring it up to 2 GB. So....essentially for $13 I might be able to go for a few more years? :smilie_happy:

bronzestarvue":1ph7rl5v said:
Yeah, I'm an Atari guy in a Playstation world...I got another cell phone, and refused to get one of those "smart phones" with Android that does everything but wipe your butt after you take a crap. So I have another flip phone, no GPS, no music, no internet...that's what I have my Garmin, iPod, and laptop for...I don't ever want to feel that connected, like I have to be notified whenever I get an email, or someone posts something on my Facebook page, etc. Either I'm way down the list on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, that I'm still working my up to the social needs level, or I'm past it...either way, I'm quite happy being "technologically challenged"...

I am with you on that brother. But what is FACEBOOK? :smilie_happy: