Cool Mod !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone knows this one already. I replaced my oem air filter with a K&N filter and left the lid off. Just use the washer/bushing upside down and then the wing nut. It runs much better, a little bit more noise but not much. I bet the gas mileage will increase too ! But definitely smoother !

Here is what I did...

First a rough cut to the sides leaving the bottom with a Dremel cut off wheel.

Next came the trimming of the excess to get it close

and then sanding with a drum sander on my die grinder to smooth the edge.

Some sand-blasting of the internals was need as they were really rusted. Then a little Hammered look Rustoleum along with cleaning of the rubber gasket. Here are the final pieces.

And the final assembly. Pardon the original old air filter. The new one looks a lot better, but I didn't have it when I took the picture. It's a "HiFlo-Filtro" unit couldn't swing the cost of a K&N just yet.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you about the performance or noise as the bike is still being built.

dan filipi":3hpmfyqm said:
If the gaskets on the false tank lid are in decent condition you won't hear much noise increase, as long as they're closed tight :grin:
Not true....not true...my K&N made the intake growel pretty loud! I eneded up going back to stock.

Hoosier,
Thats way cool!
but I like my toolbox thing...
so I figuered to cut away some of the sides, and leave the front and corners for support...

I cut holes in the top and the sound increased alot, so I figuer if the sides are releaved and the top stays intact the sound shouldnt be much more than stock..
guess you could just trim the top out and use it for the toolbox mount still even without the airbox sides...