coolant recovery bottle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
Hey friends,
wanted to thank everyone who helped me solve those leaking coolant issues I had while reassembling my wing. I've got two FYI's for everyone who might run into similar issues when taking apart the coolant pipes on a 83 Goldwing GL1100. First , those two aluminum pipes use o-rings and once you remove the pipes, you have to replace them. I found that the oem ones(metric) leaked on my bike so I went with one size thicker and one size smaller ID o-ring # 117 if you deal with NAPA. This stretched over the pipe and allowed it to seal better with the larger cross-section also(3/32"). The oem were closer to 1/8" and leaked several times. Also I used white lithium grease to lube them for assembly. My brothers on here suggested vaseline and that too would have been fine. But none of that around in my garage.
Second was the suction hose that is inside of the coolant recovery bottle. It has a grommet as it's top that holds it in the bottle and stops the coolant from splashing out and also lets the plastic fitting from the radiator overflow pipe to plug into it. Problem was that my grommet broke off this suction pipe which I'm sure is been discontinued already. But I found another work around that works great!
You buy a same length of pcv/emissions hose from NAPA with a 5/16"ID and the OD will seal the bottle where the grommet did and the plastic fits right in it and works awesome!
Thanks again guys! Look forward to seeing some of ya's on the road!

no problem, just take the bottle with you to the store when your getting that hose so you can fit it through the hole and make sure it's real snug before you buy it.

joecool":2ckmts3o said:
Hey friends,
wanted to thank everyone who helped me solve those leaking coolant issues I had while reassembling my wing. I've got two FYI's for everyone who might run into similar issues when taking apart the coolant pipes on a 83 Goldwing GL1100. First , those two aluminum pipes use o-rings and once you remove the pipes, you have to replace them. I found that the oem ones(metric) leaked on my bike so I went with one size thicker and one size smaller ID o-ring # 117 if you deal with NAPA. This stretched over the pipe and allowed it to seal better with the larger cross-section also(3/32"). The oem were closer to 1/8" and leaked several times. Also I used white lithium grease to lube them for assembly. My brothers on here suggested vaseline and that too would have been fine. But none of that around in my garage.
Second was the suction hose that is inside of the coolant recovery bottle. It has a grommet as it's top that holds it in the bottle and stops the coolant from splashing out and also lets the plastic fitting from the radiator overflow pipe to plug into it. Problem was that my grommet broke off this suction pipe which I'm sure is been discontinued already. But I found another work around that works great!
You buy a same length of pcv/emissions hose from NAPA with a 5/16"ID and the OD will seal the bottle where the grommet did and the plastic fits right in it and works awesome!
Thanks again guys! Look forward to seeing some of ya's on the road!

Great info Joe.
gotta love those guys at napa.. always helpful

Good tip, thanks. The Napa by me has a couple of guys that are helpful finding stuff, but the other people working there if it's not in the book under a certain model they can't do anything.