Coolant Type

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Wing

Reaction score
Problem: GoldWing getting hot in heavy slow traffic.

Fan working fine; coolant up to level, no drips out of the pump weep hole.

Removed radiator and had rodded and boiled at shop.
New hoses, thermostat, and radiator cap installed.

Depending on what you read there seems to be different answers on the type of coolant to use in the Goldwing. Does it have to be the Honda Brand?
Can a different brand be used as long as it is non-silicant, or does that matter?

mark the best coolant is to drop the thermostat period ...personaly i dont have my irreplacable oldwing cooling system block period ...i dont care if that the way honda did it ...the reality is the 1200 radiator it smaller than the 1000 and 1100 radiators ...why i dont know but even more reason to do so on a 1200

I worked on a 84 1200 with a sidecar that insisted on running about mid gauge all the time in mild weather, sometimes higher when on the highway and really workin it.
Determined to make it run cooler, I carefully compared the 1000 and 1100 radiators and found out the earlier radiators hold about 1/3rd more coolant. After some modifications installing it on the 1200 the temp ran below middle under the same conditions.
After installing the earlier naked air deflectors it now runs about 1/4 gauge and she's happy.

What I learned from doing this is not only is the 1200 radiator inadequate but also the air deflectors on the 1200 are almost worthless.

Considering you probably don't want to go through all I did I ask, Has your 1200 started running warmer under the same conditions or has it always run too warm? It seems that not all 1200's run warm.

dan filipi":2t2wbyya said:
I worked on a 84 1200 with a sidecar that insisted on running about mid gauge all the time in mild weather, sometimes higher when on the highway and really workin it.
Determined to make it run cooler, I carefully compared the 1000 and 1100 radiators and found out the earlier radiators hold about 1/3rd more coolant. After some modifications installing it on the 1200 the temp ran below middle under the same conditions.
After installing the earlier naked air deflectors it now runs about 1/4 gauge and she's happy.

What I learned from doing this is not only is the 1200 radiator inadequate but also the air deflectors on the 1200 are almost worthless.

Considering you probably don't want to go through all I did I ask, Has your 1200 started running warmer under the same conditions or has it always run too warm? It seems that not all 1200's run warm.

I've only had it this year. It's my first water cooled motorcycle. I've had numerous Suzuki GS models. I still ride a GS1100. This Goldwing is so comfortable and smooth, I may sell the GS1100 classic or not.
The Goldwing runs at 3 or 4 bars normally. In traffic it will rise quickly and stay close to red until back and running in open road. The fan does run at slow speeds as it should.
Radiator should be like new with the rod cleaning and boil out the shop did.
I want to put good coolant back in that is both aluminum friendly and yellow metal friendly as the radiator is metal.

I would replace the thermostat with a new Honda original unless you want to try running it without one as Joe suggests.

Sometimes running unusually warm like this is an indication of a leaking head gasket.
Tell tale signs are steam cleaned spark plugs, white smoke out the exhaust, traces of combustion gasses in the reservoir, and bubbles continually coming into the reservoir.

I had to replace a head on my 81 last summer at the same time I replaced the old ladies radiator in her Jeep. When I refilled it I had some G-05 fluid left from the Jeep so I used it. I figured Jeep engine is all aluminum so why not. I did a good flush and used distilled water. I think it runs much cooler. Morning times when it's cool it barely gets above the cold mark. I have to make sure it gets warm before i leave because it will cool down as soon as air starts moving thru the radiator. When it's warmer it never gets above mid guage and that's where the fan comes on.

I went with that because that's what I had but researching it I figured what's good enough for todays high performance aluminum engines should be good enough for these older aluminum engines. Biggest thing I found was make 100% sure you flush all the older stuff out. The newer types are highly incompatible with each other and some combinations will turn to gel.