Cooling Fan Reversal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading some info on reversing the cooling fan (on a GL 1800) in order to help it keep the engine cooler at slow speeds.
The owner said he installed a manual switch in order to control it whenever he thought the engine was getting too warm/hot.
Has anyone done this and is it worth the trouble?
Thanks, phil
My bike is an 82 Interstate

The 1800 had a problem at certain low speeds the fans didn't move enough air and the engine would heat up.
Our 1100's are a different animal entirely so there's no problem like this but if you feel yours is ruining too warm then a bypass on switch will help bring the engine temp down sooner.
IMO turning the fan on earlier just means blowing more hot air on you more often.

i have manual switch on all my wings 1000s and 1100s ...to me theres no doutb that they need temp switch fan and manual operation both ...just cant beat running the fan in stop and go traffic but im on the minority on this id say ....

Reversing the rotation of the fan can burn it out if it runs while riding down the road. The wind resistance works against the motor....wind wants to twist the fan one way, and the motor wants to turn it the opposite direction. Not a good idea. With the fan running a normal rotation the wind is turning it the same direction as the motor, so there's no problem if it comes on while riding.
Installing a bypass, or auxiliary switch will work fine...then you can turn it on whenever you need it.

Thanks, that is good to know about the fan reversal, glad I decided to ask before digging in.
It seems that a manual switch has some merit, I dont mind the hot air blowing on me IF it means the engine is happier.
In fact, right about now, I would welcome any warmth considering our weather lately.
Thanks, Phil