cooling system frustration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludwig

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need some help with my cooling system.the temp. rises to high even after the fan kicks in ,but the fan is not bringing the temp down and turning off.it just keep running.i recently replaced belts,upper &lower hoses,water pump all new seals new coolant ,all that's good. it was doing this before i replaced all these parts.only things i didn't change is temp.sending unit ,thermostat switch and cap.and i am not sure if it's any of those. :Awe:

sending unit needs fixing or replaced maybe ...thermostat personaly i dont use them ....the cap is 30yrs old or close ...new woulnt hurt ...if there no oil in the cooling system im sure the problem is in the parts ...blown head gaskit can stop flow realy ....im thing or hoping it not that ....with cap off and on centerstand if air bubble come up ita a indication of chaimber gas pushing in the cooling system cause a back push ...the flow of water pump is no match and gets shut down rather easy...good luck on the wing

Check the fan rotation. It should be pulling air from the radiator and blowing it back. If it is blowing fwd then the wires on the fan have been reversed. Is your gas gage reading normally?

A plugged radiator on the air side will create poor airflow across fins reducing cooling abilities, yet plugged internally will create an effect like the waterpump is bad with no flow thru radiator to cool down coolant. whats history of bike as to when this started. Did u just get the bike...have you owned it for awhile

Probably a clogged radiator, if it's not loosing coolant somewhere. The fan and temp gauge use different sensors, and the fan is running all the time(once hot), and the gauge is reading hot. So it has to be an actual overheat issue. Either low/no coolant flow, or no air over the radiator.

AApple":2ddzz5j4 said:
Probably a clogged radiator, if it's not loosing coolant somewhere. The fan and temp gauge use different sensors, and the fan is running all the time(once hot), and the gauge is reading hot. So it has to be an actual overheat issue. Either low/no coolant flow, or no air over the radiator.

Apple is likely right although I have seen where a bad water pump may give the same result (low flow) - anyways if you need a rad I have a few $50 plus shipping to guys on here

it started after adding a little bit of seafoam to gas and oil.not sure if its a coincidence or what.i have had the bike for 1 yr. the water pump had to be replaced it was wobbling real bad.after replacing the pump i thought that was it. but no.i have not checked to see bubbles in rad. yet but i was thinking of using a flush and changing the cap for now.at least its still running.not ready to give up yet.

I've found there is no good radiator flush product out there anymore with all the EPA restrictions they've been so watered down they don't do anything. A scam really.
If your getting bubbles out the rad filler cap and into the reservoir you've got a blown head gasket period, which will make it run hot.
Hope that's not it. A bad thermostat can make it run hot also.

Ludwig, how high is too high on your gauge, is it above 3/4 on the gauge.? If it's really hot out sometimes the temp won't come down right away but it usually does once you get rolling, the fan should go off at that point...My bike runs around 1/2 most of the time, 5/8 and the fan comes on..3/4 and i'm having a heart attack.. :smilie_happy: