cooling system pipes and flanges

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
Hey everyone....I'm trying to put back together my 83 GL1100 after doing a valve replacement and those two aluminum pipes that go from center to each head are giving me problems sealing. They use an o-ring on each end and at the head they fit into an aluminum elbow that bolts directly to the head. But both sides are not bolting flush. The inside (have to use a mirror to see it) is not flush with the head. I use sealant on the o-ring and it fits inside the flange when they are apart but when assembled, the flange is not flat on the head. Has anyone done battle with this? Any suggestions? Thanks Joe

I'm not sure what you mean by the flange not being flush with the head.

Do the bolts line up?
If not then the tubes are not pushed in far enough either into the center t-stat housing or into the flange.

Do not use sealant where there is an O-ring, the O-ring seals the joint when you tighten down the flange. Sealant is only used on gasketed surfaces (not head gaskets). If the pipes, elbows and flanges are not seating right, pull them off and check the O-rings on the ends of the tubes to see if they are not seated correctly. A little vasoline on the O-rings before inserting into the elbows helps to get them to seat correctly without twisting.

mcgovern61":3glwxyio said:
Do not use sealant where there is an O-ring, the O-ring seals the joint when you tighten down the flange. Sealant is only used on gasketed surfaces (not head gaskets). If the pipes, elbows and flanges are not seating right, pull them off and check the O-rings on the ends of the tubes to see if they are not seated correctly. A little vasoline on the O-rings before inserting into the elbows helps to get them to seat correctly without twisting.
I totlally agree with this advice. Always lubricate orings for assembly. Vasoline is pretty good stuff for that job.

Exactly which part are you saying don't sit flush?
scan0003bj.jpg

part that is not setting flat is part #6 in the picture. Tubes 4 and 5 get pushed into each when they are bolted down to the head. I use Permatex Hylomar on the O-rings which always stays flexible. But the "elbows" that get bolted to the heads after the pipes are pressed into them are not flush with the heads. I can see , with the use of an inspection mirror that there is an 1/8th of an inch gap on the inside even after the bolts are snugged down. I know this makes no sense but it happened on both sides. Maybe the pipes are keeping them from clamping down. I'm lost!

When I did mine. I pushed the pipes clear in then pulled part #6 out to the bolt holes and bolted it down. No leaks no issues.

The way you say it, sounds like the tubes are too long.
Could the orings be too thick? Or not seated like they are supposed to be? Are you trying to put new orings on top of an old one? (maybe you missed one?) Is it possible you missed a piece of the old gasket on the head or the elbow?

I didn't have this trouble when I did mine, so I'm just shoot'n from the hip. I know how frustrating things can become. Wish I could help more.

ya know (SCDMARX) you are right about the o-rings being left on there. The first time the inner pipe o-ring was in there with the new one so that two one one side. Fixed that issue than tried without the o-rings and all fits well so know I'll try to install without o-rings and see if it snugs down flat with gasket adhesive yet, just to see if it is flat on head or not and than I can remove and glue it down permanently. Thanks guys!