Crack Killz, or whats under that tape Omega?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is the one thing that really bugs me about old girlfriend. That crack continues through the edge of the pocket at the top, and through the side in the bottom left area of the fairing. Does this look repairable? It was like this when I bought her, and hasn't really gotten worse. The edges will line up with a little hand pressure, so I was wondering if that stuff that "welds" ABS is worth a try.

~O~

Simply putting glue on the crack and clamping the crack closed won't last long if at all.
You'll have to add support to it to hold it all together.
thewhiterhino posted about major fairing repair where he used ABS glue and a fiberglass like material.
I think that would have to be done as a minimum to keep it from separating.

viewtopic.php?p=6249#p6249

ive been told by elvek ...boy i no thats not right in name ...maybr it is .that you can take acid tone and mix it with abs plastik and it will melt into a slurry and ,,,like in a jar or something and this lurry will be like plaskit weld or filler maybe he will see this and explane better ~O~ :mrgreen:

This repair is this weekends project. I've gone through the tutorials and found conflicting information on the material to be used to strengthen the repair. In one thread a type of roofing polyester is recommended and steel mesh in another. I think the polyester would be easier for me to work with with my limited tool collection. What do you guys think? I plan to do a very tidy repair that requires as little finish sanding as possible.

Of course this will be photo-documented.

~O~

I don't remember reading anything on how I should prep the area.

Soap and water first? Sand the area with a rough grade sand paper for the adhesive to grab? I was thinking of using one of those super slippery flexible cookie sheets at just the right moment while the repair is curing to mold the surface smooth before it can dry completely.

~O~

I would rough up the surface with 80 or 120 grit to help bonding.
I think it will be very important in your repair to make sure the piece is not bumped which might break the bond.
Clamping it together would be good.

I'M JUST A HOBBYIST, but I mixed acetone and abs shavings into a thicker mixture as Joe described and used it to attach to the backs of saddle bags. They've been on for more than a year and now signs of weakness yet. I think if you sear abs plastic repair at ngw there is a thread with photos. It's kind of cool to work with. it comes out runny but skins over right away and helps keep it from running all over. It's worth a try. ABS cement from the hardware plumbing section is the same thing, I think. https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... tic+repair

Omega Man":2gap9u3u said:
I don't remember reading anything on how I should prep the area.

Soap and water first? Sand the area with a rough grade sand paper for the adhesive to grab? I was thinking of using one of those super slippery flexible cookie sheets at just the right moment while the repair is curing to mold the surface smooth before it can dry completely.

~O~

When I did my repair I took the fairing to the car wash and cleaned it up real good. The ABS cement is readily available and is a solvent to the ABS in the fairing. I pit on as thick coat then the poly material and 2 or 3 more coats on top of that. The solvent will melt the cracks back together. My fairing was soft for a couple of days before it totally hardened again..
Hope this helps O man.
:party:

Simply because I don't want to, I'm thinking it would be best to remove the faux tank to be able to properly get at the crack as is runs to the inside. This would help me "slo-my-roll" and let it cure properly. This means 2 days of not riding :crying: but from what I've read, I really need to give this repair time.

This leads me to a question, "Can I at least start her the next morning or day?" I start her everyday religiously whether I can ride or not, and even had my buddy come over to start her when I was on a trip for four days.

I have one of these, and I'm wondering if these are ABS? Id like it break it into strips to support the repair on the inside, putting across the crack/repair like this -> + It feels like ABS.

~O~

After my repair I decided I should have mounted the fairing while it was soft so it could take a new set that matches the fairing mount when It hardens. Sooooo I put one more thick coat of abs cement on it and mounted it up. I think doing that will lessen the chance of future cracks...