Depression

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you see someone suffering from it get them help and don't take no for an answer... force the issue until the person that is affected by it gets the help that he/she needs. Today I lost a sister in-law because of it and also because I didn't do enough to force the issue.

If they could only see how it affects those they leave behind.

I`m sorry to hear about your sister in law,
Definetely for some it is unbearable.
I had a friend that I thought was on the road to recovery but out of the blue left this earth.
My Condolences to you and yours and her family.

Sorry for your loss, Brian. I know all too well the effects the disease can have.....it's not easy, and no matter what anyone else says, we can't understand what sufferers go thru. Sadly...there's not always any help for them, no matter how hard we try to get it.....

Sad for your loss. I battled depression several times. I know how hard it can be. Sadly some choose a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

Brian,

I'm very sorry for your loss. People who do not suffer from depression find it hard to understand how someone could take their life, understandably. But, it's actually very simple, and I'm speaking as someone with 38+ years with the condition: Human Beings respond instinctively to Pain; they want to get away from it! The example I use with my wife and kids is: Imagine if someone had a blowtorch against your skin; what would your reaction be? Of course they say, "Get away from it as quickly as possible!" Now, imagine if your entire mental state, your LIFE is like that....

When I was 19 years old, I met my first soulmate and fell in love for the first time and we became engaged to be married, much younger than I had planned. Over the next 14 months I watched that lovely little girl turn into a bald skeleton with an enormously swollen abdomen from liver cancer. She's still in the medical books as no one had ever heard of such a thing; didn't smoke, scarcely drank alcohol; how could this even happen, especially having survived an operation that removed 80% of her liver! (The liver regenerates.) I've had pistols against my temple three times; I've had a double-barreled 12 gauge in my mouth once. I definitely understand your sister-in-law's pain and her desperation to get AWAY from the pain. There is only so much the human mind and body can stand.

You're right. Left unchecked and undealt with, depression like alcoholism is often a fatal disease. And, I'm glad that I didn't destroy myself, as God provided me with another soulmate, we've been married over 31 years, have two great kids, and I've even reconciled with God, with whom I was FURIOUS over what Pam experienced. And, my wife knows that I think of Pam every day, with a smile and a sadness, and I look forward to seeing her again. It's toughest to say good-bye to extraordinary people.

P.S. And, I do not collect ANY money from any government or other entity for my affliction. I accept it as the "thorn in my flesh" that HE has given me. So be it. Standing by Pam's side to the bitter end was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. And, I do take medication now and then when it gets really bad. I wish your sister-in-law had, at least the right one for her. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. It IS brutal on those who love the person, the knowledge of which was the only thing that kept me from pulling those triggers over the years. Remember the opening line of "Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel: "Hello Darkness my old friend...."
Kevin

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92676#p92676:1njtwqe8 said:
brianinpa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:32 pm[/url]":1njtwqe8]
If you see someone suffering from it get them help and don't take no for an answer... force the issue until the person that is affected by it gets the help that he/she needs. Today I lost a sister in-law because of it and also because I didn't do enough to force the issue.

If they could only see how it affects those they leave behind.
Brian, I am very sorry for you and your family's loss and I am praying for that peace that surpasses all understanding and for comfort in this terrible moment.

My wife suffers significant depression and I almost lost her in 2010. I can tell you that she is fully aware of the affects on others, but that the reasons and causes for her wanting to end her life seemed more reasonable at the moment, truely an escape from the circumstances. I have to add that some of the very medications that were supposed to be helping made the conditions much worse and she (in her medicated state of mind) believed there were no other options. It is a very painful experience, but praise God we worked through it and I now understand (as much as possible) what was going on. Years upon years in the making. Unfortunately, some of the very life circumstances that cause her depression (too personal for discussion here) are still very present and must be managed daily and they are not going away.

Thank you for your posting, it took a lot of courage to begin this thread and I will continue to lift up you and your family in prayer!

Thank you to all for you words and your prayers. Judging by some of the responses, it appears that depression isn't something that is as scarce as the mental health community and government would like us to believe it is, but that is a completely different subject. :head bang:

Seeing the look on the face of my nephew yesterday was enough to break my heart. My niece is putting on a face, but I know that she is hurting too. :crying: Such a sad situation.

It's sad that the subject is so "taboo".....that's why a lot of folks suffer with no help. They're afraid of being stigmatized by society, and even in the MHMR world they are often brutalized by Health care workers & "Professionals".
Mama used to work at MHMR for years here, and some of the stories she told, and some of the things she saw there was unbelievable. Just makes it so hard for those that suffer with it to want to get the help they need if they are scared to even talk to a professional, for fear of being locked up and tortured.

I hope your family and hers will be able to handle this tragedy.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92773#p92773:11m2wk7x said:
AApple » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:59 am[/url]":11m2wk7x]
It's sad that the subject is so "taboo".....that's why a lot of folks suffer with no help. They're afraid of being stigmatized by society, and even in the MHMR world they are often brutalized by Health care workers & "Professionals".
Mama used to work at MHMR for years here, and some of the stories she told, and some of the things she saw there was unbelievable. Just makes it so hard for those that suffer with it to want to get the help they need if they are scared to even talk to a professional, for fear of being locked up and tortured.

I hope your family and hers will be able to handle this tragedy.

So far so good, and today the Niece and Nephew get back to business with field hockey and football practice starting, so it will give them something to keep them occupied. I just know I wouldn't want to be the tackling dummy that my Nephew runs into. I could see a lot of hurt in his body language and if he lets it out on the field (which is the best place to do it) someone is in for a beat-down. The good news there is that my brother in-law is a teacher/coach in the same school district so all of the Nieces/Nephew's coaches know the story and will be keeping an eye on things too.

Bro I am sorry to hear of the loss for all concerned.
Inside depression looking out see all who enjoy and you have non makes you feel alone. It is the worst feeling of all. There is little you could do to change what needed to be changed. Our western beliefs tell us strongly she was wrong to end her life, eastern beliefs tend to forgive the pain and accept her new found peace. I do suffer from this at times and have been at the edge, it takes a strange kind of courage to step into the next existence. There is an insurmountable amount of guilt to deal with or a very blind eye to our responsibility to not cause discomfort in others. I hope and pray that a peace with this comes quickly to all concerned, and forgiveness for the passing is realized. Unlike some I believe our Father knows of this mental torment and has already welcomed her.
be kind to yourself. Bobalou

So sorry for y'all's loss and prayers for God's comfort to you and yours. Please do not beat yourself up or obsess over "what if..." We're all doing the best we can, remember the highlights of your relationship. God Bless

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92809#p92809:2l9s8xf6 said:
brianinpa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:59 pm[/url]":2l9s8xf6]
Thanks guys.

No more beating up for me.

Yep don't do it...easy to say but hard not to. I'm no stranger to loss and the first thing I do is beat myself up. You can expect a PM that will touch heart from Joe, I bet you've already gotten it, that's just the way he his. They've gotten me through some tough times.

~O~

Nope, no self-flagellation. I don't know if it's a "disease"; I do know that it is a form of mental illness. And I'm pretty sure it IS physiologically based, which does make it a disease. I consider it an "affliction", a "thorn in my flesh". Unlike this unfortunate young lady, when I need prescription help it does work for me.

The really important thing to get across to her husband and especially their kids is that she did not reject them, she simply rejected her own life, due to the pain she was experiencing due to her mental illness. It's like carrying around an extra 100lbs. more than others, every day; eventually you simply get too tired to carry it anymore. It simply wears you down.