Engine ICE Coolant ???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
Any one have any experience with a brand of radiator coolant called "Engine ICE coolant" ? Says it drops temps by as much as 50degrees F.

I tried something similar and found absolutely no difference in temperatures.
The stuff is a gimmick.

Now Evans NPG+ coolant on the other hand looks interesting.
I'd like to try it some day.

A lot of the Corvette guys are swearing by the Redline "Water Wetter" product. 40 deg lower average temps is what most guys are saying with it. I've never personally used anything like that....most of my vehicles wind up with coolant leaks, so it's not worth the effort....or the $$$ :smilie_happy:

only thing bad about engine ice or evans is if you spring a leak it cannot be mixed with antifreeze. i use to usewatter wetter in my mustang and t-bird. if it lowered the temp 40 deg the thermostat would never open so i don't think the vette guys are correct althow the cars did run cooler

I agree with SCDMARX.
If the cooling system is up to what it should be,there no need for Water Wetter,Purple Ice,40 Below....or any other additives beside honda type2 antifreeze.
I sell alot of all those products,but they are intended for engines and/or cooling systems that have been modified and do not perform as needed.

The honda cooling system is plenty capable,and if it is running to hot,there is a ploblem that needs to be addressed.My 1100 runs below 1/2 guage consistantly,but on the occasions it did climb higher,something was wrong.Head Gasket,Thermostat,Water Pump,Fan,Head Gasket again....Once fixed all was well again.

Just my $.02

Tory":296gghh5 said:
I agree with SCDMARX.
If the cooling system is up to what it should be,there no need for Water Wetter,Purple Ice,40 Below....or any other additives beside honda type2 antifreeze.

Why use Honda type2 antifreeze? Are there any other coolants comparable to Honda type2, but a better bargain and available at the local parts store. My Honda dealer wants $8.00 a quart for this stuff.

The popular belief is the antifreeze needs to be free of silicates because the engine is aluminum.
I suspect with most modern engines being aluminum that any off the shelf antifreeze is fine to use.
No need to pay Hondas rip off price.
Personally I only use auto parts antifreeze that specifically says no silicates being I'm just not sure and I figure that's safest.

I forget when it was (I'm thinking late 90's), but Honda cars had a huge water pump problem, and that's when they figured out they need to make a silicate free coolant. I'd say for our old wings, probably any coolant that is silicate free would be safe. Don't "quote" me, but I'd almost bet any Asian coolant these days might be silicate free.

scdmarx":3mhwxivl said:
I forget when it was (I'm thinking late 90's), but Honda cars had a huge water pump problem, and that's when they figured out they need to make a silicate free coolant. I'd say for our old wings, probably any coolant that is silicate free would be safe. Don't "quote" me, but I'd almost bet any Asian coolant these days might be silicate free.

Well said,
Honda type II antifreeze should be on the shelf at any reputable auto parts store.I stock it in my store.

The cheapest coolant is the old green stuff that runs about $10.00/gallon.I sell the premixed HONDA stuff for $20.00/gallon.I change it every other year.
$5.00/year to use the right stuff does not seem like bad math.

FYI I only use 50/50 premixed coolant in everything.I have well water and the outside faucets,that do not get softened or filtered has alot of scale and iron in it.Dont want that in my motor.

AApple":tzumzag1 said:
A lot of the Corvette guys are swearing by the Redline "Water Wetter" product. 40 deg lower average temps is what most guys are saying with it. I've never personally used anything like that....most of my vehicles wind up with coolant leaks, so it's not worth the effort....or the $$$ :smilie_happy:

I made the mistake of buying water wetter before I googled it almost $20 bucks and I find that all independent studies show it reduces the water temperature about the same as antifreeze. I guess if I lived in the Golden State I might use it but up here in the great white north we need antifreeze

The main reason to NOT use silicate containing antifreeze is that silicates are ABRASIVES and prematurely wear out our water pump seals..... no silicates in the formula will help the water pump seals last longer, and if you don't do the 50/50 mix, just go to the local supermarket and buy a gallon or two of distilled water (usually in the laundry detergent aisle) and use that to dilute your antifreeze with.... distilled water has no minerals, additives or chemicals in it and won't give you any problems that are associated with "hard" or treated water from your kitchen sink...

Rich

Just my $0.02 worth..

Happy Father's Day!!!