faded decals on trunk and bags.82 Aspencade.need to replace???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibi

Reaction score
!982 Aspencade Silver&Gray. The colored decals on the trunk and tops of the bag are faded,Cant find any replacement.Someone suggested a sign shop,not sure.Does anyone have any ideas where to get these or get them redone.I quess the other option is to have them painted.Just trying to keep original as possible.Thanks for your help

Are you talking about the pin stripping? Most auto parts houses have a selection of pin stripe tape that should work. If not, then a paint supply place would.

The pinstriping is available.Its the decal inside the striping.The dark gray color is a decal and not painted,Im sure its the same for other colored wings. The one color is painted and the other color on the fairing bags and trunk are decals,these are fading.Im sure someone has had the same issues.

Loaded pictures in the gallery.Just bought this bike 2 weeks ago.Everthing is great except the problem with the bubbling.The Honda mech that I bought it from said that it was a decal, so he thought.Im not sure ,but could it be the clearcoat .Not all that famaliar with the bike YET.You can chect the pics at the Gallery.Not able to get to the post.

That's looks like the clear coat peeling. Very common on these old bikes.

image.php

I have never heard of any decals put on these fairings, from the factory or aftermarket but that doesn't mean it isn't.
Maybe someone with that color scheme can verify but I do think it's painted.
Mine is wineberry color and has the same spot right under the handle where it looks like there was once a label or pad of some kind. Of all the bikes I've seen I've never seen one with anything there, just what looks like the remnant of something.

If it is original paint factory paint job : I was to the factory in Marysville,Ohio and watched these being produced (1982-83). A tinted, semi-transparent applique was put over the base color (wineberry, gray, brown) which made the inserts darker. The pin stripes were part of the applique. They were then shot with numerous (6 or 7, I believe) coats of clear. This was all done with French Robotics if I remember correctly.

That piece under the trunk handle is just a clear protective guard to keep your finger nails from scratching it. I believe that even the Interstates have it on them.

Im glad I found this site.Thanks for everbodys input.Now that I know the problem, just need to get after it and get it taken care of.Probably be using this site alot, great feed back and help,Thanks.Right now the fading and bubbling are the biggest problem ,