Final drive slack.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrscamhlspouse

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much play in the final drive of my 86 Aspy is excessive , and should I worry about it. It has about one half inch of movement from front to back when in first gear and rolled back and forth by hand when on the center stand. Any takers? And how much is this repair going to cost, Thanks all.

You have to take into account the amount of play in the gearbox, also, when moving the tire like that. That play is most likely not all final drive play. I'm not sure, but 1/2" doesn't sound like too much to me, if you factor in the trans gear slack, as well as ring/pinion slack....and any wear in the splines of the wheel to diff.

Had new rear tire mounted when I bought the bike 32,000 mi. Tech said everything looked good at that time. Bike now has only 52,000. What do you think? Is the final drive dry or worn excessively?

1/2 play is nothing. Ride it.

It is important though to make sure the splines are being greased during the tire change.
I have heard of many dealers and mechanics not doing so.

Grease! Grease!! If nothing else...check it!! Dry splines will do more damage in a short term than a good greased drive over 30K miles!

ok, I may be a little ignorant when it comes to working on a Goldwing , but how do you grease the splines? Does the rear wheel have to come off, obviously it does or you wouldn't be saying to do it at tire change.

Yes the wheel has to come off. There are 3 nuts on the final drive that hold it to the drive shaft flange and the right shock has to be pulled off at the bottom. When the wheel is off, pull the drive off. That is how you get to the splines. (Obviously I am skipping a few steps to getting the wheel off for simplicity sake.)