Finally found my DreamWing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjaa1980

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Chris.

I bought my first mcy (cx500d) 2 short years ago, and it's been my pride and joy ever since.

But even since I was a kid, I was infatuated with the Interstate models of the the GoldWing between '80-'83.

I finally found her, the GoldWing of my Dreams! She's an '82 with less than 50K on the clock, and she's all mine!

Cold start video here that the seller had posted (I'm aware that this is probably not a Police Interceptor, and that the decals are for a caprice)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_xrAYmO_Wc[/video]

Does anyone know how I would verify, using the VIN or something, or if there is registry of police bikes? I'm pretty sure the previous owner just liked the interceptor persona, but I'd like to see if I could make sure...

Glad to join the forum, looking forward to sharing common interests with the community. :cool:

I'll be reading my new factory service/repair manual cover to cover as soon as it arrives, and I'm sure I'll have questions galore.

Thanks

Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area.... now some pd's did use Goldwings.. not many.. but I thought they were mostly the 15 and 18's.. come is dead on goldwing.. not a Leo color scheme... do I suspect on the interceptor... unless he got it from a later vf700 interceptor

Welcome to the forum..I`m pretty certain that is not a police bike, The ones I have seen did not use the Hondaline faring but a more police style probably to contain all the radio and electrical/lighting equipment and wires. But it looks good, try running some automatic trans fluid with your fuel, will clean up your fuel system ..sort of sounds like the carbs need some cleaning, maybe a clogged idle jet or the accelerator pump is not pumping..Do another cold start then shut it off after a minute or two then feel the pipes where they exit the head, just tap them first incase they are real hot..Should feel an even temperature on all 4. You can also take the bike out for a spin, let it cool down till you can touch the pipes, dont use the choke and start it for a minute and feel the pipes, should feel even.
I`m not saying anything is wrong, It is tough to tell from a video but it is good to know everything is OK to start with.
Congrats on the new bike.

Thanks Everyone, I'll be reading, replying, and posting. My short list includes eventually rebuilding carburetors/fuel system (already new fuel pump,) progressive springs, steering stabilization, and polish engine covers at oil change/inspect valves belts etc. Not sure if water pump ever replaced either. Running great though, not quite 50k original miles yet...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117245#p117245:370wyiv6 said:
cjaa1980 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:57 pm[/url]":370wyiv6]
Zman, never used atf in fuel...seafoam just as good?
Sea foam is good for a one or twice use to try and clear up a stumble or hesitation, sometimes it works sometimes not, but I would not recommend using it on a regular basis because it tends to eat the rubber seals and oring unless they too are Viton rubber but stock originals or original replacements seals are not Viton, you have to specifically look for Viton when seeking fuel system parts.
The transmission fluid I first heard on this forum from other members here, I didn't think much f it till I tried it and made a notable improvement for some strange reason and does improve gas mileage and is very safe on rubber parts.
Give it a try, I find allot of bottles of the stuff at estate and yard sales for 50 cents or a buck, cant see spending 5 dollars a bottle, about 8 ounces in your tank will do.

I don't know about everyone else but I definitely get a puff off smoke on start up when I am using ATF and more so when I have left it on the side stand. As soon as I have run a tank without ATF through I lose the smoke on start up. I love the ATF in the fuel as the Rats Nest sounds heaps better and runs well it just embarrassing when it looks like a steam train on start up. I run 95 in her and we also have a 98 available but doesn't run any better in a carbureted application.