Finding Tires for My 1981 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny4jesus

Reaction score
I had Dunlop 110/90/19 404 front tire on my 81 Interstate and the tire has large cracks in it only 2 years old ,less than 2000 miles, and the rear tire Dunlop 404 130/90/17 and it developed bubles in the side wall 6 of them and 4 in the tred, I called Dunlop and they would not help me on the front tire 110/90/19 but the rear tire they replaced, 404, 130/90/17.
The problem is I no longer trust the Dunlop 404 tire for my 81 Interstate but it is hard to find tires for the older bikes. Because I ride two up I wanted to get the Continental Tk16 front and Tk17 rear but no one has the rear tire, no one in the USA. I call every tire dealer in the us , all on back order and they don't know when they will get more if ever.
Now I just received the new 404 rear tire but looking at it I just don't trust to use it . There are some chin shin tires that fit and are in stock but I am not sure I want to use them with my wife on the bike . i also found IRC has tires to fit the Goldwing as did Bridgestone but V rated and that means about 5000 miles with 2 up.
I have an 83 Aspencade and it has 16 inch rear tire and an 18 inch on front and man you can get what ever you want for that size . So I am working on getting the 83 going and am going to part out the 81, I sure hate to do it but it's getting hard to get stuff for it now.
Any comments?
Thanks
Sonny

Attachments

• bike in park saturday NOV.o nine.jpg
    bike in park saturday NOV.o nine.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 130
Besides tires there are plenty of parts around for the '81, would be silly to part out a good bike for lack of tires when there are still choices.
Chen Shin has been around a very long time and I wouldn't hesitate running a set.

I had the same with a 404 on the front a little less than two years and quite a bit of side wall cracking. I have one on the rear and it's fine.
American Motorcycle tire has a pretty good selection https://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php I've never bought from them but I have heard a lot of good thing about them. I like the way they have all their tires sorted by size.

You can refit different wheels to the 81. Why part it out when you can mod it whatever way you like and have two runners?

I used the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires and got 13,000 out of the rear (two up 60% of the time) and the front is still going at about 14,800 so far. I replaced my rear with another Bridgestone spitfire from Dennis Kirk and I am real pleased. (They are rated for over 761 lbs)

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=16851#p16851

•H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph
•Tubeless for either rim type
•Blackwalls
•90-series metric sizing
•Tread pattern designed for good wet-weather performance and resistance to rain-groove wander
•Two tread compounds in each tire for the best of both worlds -- excellent grip from the shoulder compounds in corners and high mileage from the center compound
•Four-ply casing with insert plies and refined belt technology keeps the tire round and cool, even at top speeds
Dimensions:
Inflated Width/Measuring Rim Width: 5.5"-3.50
Inflated Diameter: 25.9"
Acceptable Rim Width(s): 2.75"-3.75"
Deepest Tread Depth: 10/32"
Balance Dot: One yellow
Directional Arrow: Yes
Speed Rating: H-rated for speeds up to 130 MPH
Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 761 LBS/41 PSI
Load Range: B
Bias or Radial Ply: Bias
Tread Plies/Material: 4 nylon
Sidewall Plies/Material: 4 nylon
DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes
Tube or Tubeless: Either

I have been on the Internet and phone all day looking for the 17 rear Continental TK17 tire and all of them said they did not stock them they would order from warehouse and the warehouse is out of stock because Continental has not made any for some time nor have they sent any out for restock.
And the Dunlop 404 130/90/17 that went bad on my bike no one could understand what caused the problem, I have not hit any big holes , I run 38lbs in it and when I talked to Dunlop customer service they had me take the tire to a Bike dealer here in town and they said they had never seen a 404 bubble up like this one did, I just thank the Lord for keeping me and my wife safe.
Dunlop sent me a replacement for the 130/90/17 and the dealer said they knew that we could have been hurt had the tire blown and caused us to crash so Dunlop did good in replaceing the tire . You know thats all in good but I no longer trust the 404.
Well thank you all for your comments.
Sonny <///><